Pins connection

I bought a 3.5" TFT LCD (ILI9481) that came with the shield at the back. I would like to connect it with Arduino MEGA 2560.
Can anyone help me to explain the pins connection between the two? Ive looked on the internet and can't find any clear pins connection.

Count the pins on your "shield".
A Uno shield has about 28 pins. A Mega shield has lots more pins.

Both types of shield will fit on a Mega. Every male pin must mate with a coresponding female socket.
Only the Uno shield will fit on a Uno.

Post a photo of the shield pcb. Then we can count the pins and read the words printed on the pcb.

David.

david_prentice:
Count the pins on your "shield".
A Uno shield has about 28 pins. A Mega shield has lots more pins.

Both types of shield will fit on a Mega. Every male pin must mate with a coresponding female socket.
Only the Uno shield will fit on a Uno.

Post a photo of the shield pcb. Then we can count the pins and read the words printed on the pcb.

David.

how to post the image?haha

do this link work for u?

http://s1.electrodragon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/3.5''-320x480-TFT-LCD-Module-for-Arduino-8-bit-Parallel-05.jpg

Your link does not work. I Googled ElectroDragon and found:
http://www.electrodragon.com/product/3-5-320x480-tft-lcd-module-for-arduino-8-bit-parallel/

If this is your shield, it is a Uno shield that fits on your Mega. Install the MCUFRIEND_kbv library from the Library Manager.

Please report back whether it contains an ILI9481 or ILI9486.

David.

david_prentice:
Your link does not work. I Googled ElectroDragon and found:
3.5'' 320x480 TFT LCD Arduino Shield, 8-bit Parallel, ILI9486 - ElectroDragon

If this is your shield, it is a Uno shield that fits on your Mega. Install the MCUFRIEND_kbv library from the Library Manager.

Please report back whether it contains an ILI9481 or ILI9486.

David.

Mine is ILI9481. And Ive download the MCUFRIEND_kbv library.

Then what should I do? How do I check and know the pin connection?

You plug the shield into the Mega2560. Make sure that the pins mate properly.

Then run any of the examples from the MCUFRIEND_kbv library.
Start with graphictest_kbv. Avoid the Touch examples.

I am issuing a new Release soon. This should clear up Touch problems.

David.

david_prentice:
You plug the shield into the Mega2560. Make sure that the pins mate properly.

Then run any of the examples from the MCUFRIEND_kbv library.
Start with graphictest_kbv. Avoid the Touch examples.

I am issuing a new Release soon. This should clear up Touch problems.

David.

It works thanks. So the connection work by just plugin them properly?
And how do I learn more on the touch screen feature?

Bte thanks for answering my newbie questions.

Yes, that is why boys and girls were invented.

Shields and Arduinos work the same way.

Wait for the next Library Release. The new Touch examples should be better.
The Library Manager will tell you if your version can be Upgraded.

David

Hello david,

you seem to have knowledge in ESP32 to E-Paper pin mapping.

I am working on a project and am unsure where to connect the pins - i am using a ESP32 WROOM32 and a 7.5" E-Paper HAT.

This is the Mapping on the E-Paper shield:

(From left to right)

BUSY, RST, DC, CS, CLK, DIN, GND, VCC

i know what those mapping mean, but i have no idea where they go on my ESP32.

this is what the ESP32 looks like:

EN-------------------D23
UP-------------------D22
UN-------------------TX0
D34------------------RX0
D35------------------D21
D32------------------D19
D33------------------D18
D25------------------D5
D26------------------TX2
D27------------------RX2
D14------------------D4
D12------------------D2
D13------------------D15
GND------------------GND
VIN------------------3V3
-----[USB SOCKET]-----

This is the pin connection that we were trying to use - we took the project from a german computer magazine "c't"

Display ESP32
BUSY 4
RST 16
DC 17
CS 5
CLK 18
DIN 23
GND GND
3.3V 3.3V

however, there is no 16 / 17 on the board and now i am not sure what to do - kind of afraid of just randomly connecting pins.

i hope you can help me with my issue here

thanks in advance

Jean-Mark (ZinggJM on this forum) knows about E-Paper displays.

As a general rule, you wire DIN, CLK, CS to the hardware SPI port. And BUSY, RST, DC to any digital pins.

I have never used E-Paper or ZinggJM library examples. I would always advise you to follow the exact wiring that is used in the example.

Verify that all the library examples work. Only then do you think of custom wiring schemes. Either the custom scheme is in a "User_Setup" file or it is in the class constructor arguments.

I would guess that the example wiring would be possible with every ESP32 module from Ebay.
Post a link to the actual module that you purchased and is sitting on your desk. Then Jean-Marc can give you specific instructions.

David.

Hello,

i dont understand - i do not look for any custom connections, i just want my E-Paper display to work with it.
I am using this: (site is in german but i think you should get the idea)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/ESP32-ESP-32-Entwicklungsboard-Arduino-Wifi-WLan-Bluetooth-WROOM32/152996963331?hash=item239f546403:g:qJUAAOSwvKha4FBg

my problem is that i do not know the right pins for every wire cable coming from the E-Paper shield. i cant find a quick and easy to understand guideline what to pin where

@LPeschko

Sometimes I read posts in topics that do not interest me directly. But here you get the chance to get a response from me.

There are several libraries available now for these e-papers, e.g. the demo library from Waveshare.

One of the well known libraries is my GxEPD library for Arduino.

Start with the GxEPD_SPI_TestExample.ino, and look for the mapping suggestion for ESP32, e.g. LOLIN32.

Jean-Marc

Looking at your link, there are a series of eight images you can click on. #1, #6 are not even the right way around. #7 has 38 pins that do not match the 30 pins in image #2,#3,#4,#5

I am never sure whether Ebay/AliExpress vendors are dishonest or ignorant.
I would expect AliExpress companies to know what they are selling.
Ebay sellers are often private individuals or Lingerie shops.

The first job is to identify what you have actually bought. Perhaps you can find an exact match on another Ebay sale site.

ZinggJM is very active supporting E-Paper displays and his library.

At a guess, most ESP32 modules would say GPIO16 or GPIO17
RX2 is GPIO16
TX2 is GPIO17

Ah-ha. Jean-Marc has replied while I was typing.

David.

At a guess, most ESP32 modules would say GPIO16 or GPIO17
RX2 is GPIO16
TX2 is GPIO17

thank you, this is exactly what i needed - i could connect all the pins as in the github library even, but there was no 16 or 17 on the board, though there IS a RX2 and TX2. if those are the same, my problem is fixed. thanks again!

Seriously. Ebay/AliExpress sale sites with INACCURATE photos, text, ... should be avoided.

It is better to pay $0.02 more for an item from an honest vendor.

David.

it wasnt me who ordered them but yes, i will pass that on - what are good vendors for those boards?

hello, since the board we bought on ebay seems to be not known enough to easily deploy it we will buy this one: Boards — Arduino Official Store

i hope the pin mapping there will work with the arduino IDE so we can finally at least access the controler

I wish you luck with the 101.
I doubt if there have been many buyers.
You will never get the “worldwide” experience and support from the regular Arduino users.

You will get support for ESP8266, ESP32 and E-Paper from this forum.
You just need to post your questions in a relevant thread. And provide accurate information.

There is nothing wrong with saying

I bought this from this URL. Please note that photo 4, 5, 6 match my device. photo 1, 2, 3 are wrong.

Read the Forum guidelines. It makes all the difference to the quality of any answers.

David.

sorry, i am really new to this entire thing - i just have no idea WHAT to buy if my guide says i need an ESP32. maybe you can tell me that? i just need an ESP32 with wifi, and a way to tell where the heck those jumper cables coming from my e-paper are supposed to go. i assumed that all arduino boards are esp32s, and now im completely screwed because i have no idea whats important to check when buying

Don't start with complaining, start with answering questions.

We still do not know which e-paper you have or want to use; please post a link.

Which library do you intend to use with your e-paper?

The offerings of ESP8266 and ESP32 are a bit a mess now, in my humble opinion.

I use to buy from the Wemos shop on AliExpress, e.g. Wemos D1 mini, Wemos D1 mini Pro, Wemos LOLIN32 Lite. But some are no longer available from Wemos, there are a lot of real or fake copies, some called WEMS, and so on. So a sound recommendation is hard to give. But I searched on AliExpress and found the same boards I know as "Wemos LOLIN32 Lite".

Jean-Marc