PIR Sensor Not working with 9-volt power supply

HI,

Google did not return anything about problems using the 9-volt and arduino with PIR sensor.

• The 9 -volt is charged and works fine. I already tested it with meter.
  • The PIR/Sketch/Circuit etc works fine and does exactly what it should when Arduino is plugged into the USB.

When I use the Battery through the jack however, I first get about 5 seconds of rapid flickering of the test LED followed by no response of the PIR sensor.

What am I missing? Voltage regulation issues with batter and PIR? do I need some other component in the circuit when using a 9-volt? Capacitor?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Stick the negative probe of your meter down the center of the barrel jack, and touch the outside of the barrel jack with the positive lead. You should get about nine volts before you plug it into the arduino. If that is satisfactory, plug the barrel jack into the arduino then double check your power by measuring the voltage on the power rails of your bread board. Just use a couple small wires and measure with your meter. Maybe you could post a good picture of your whole set up and we could help more.

I first get about 5 seconds of rapid flickering of the test LED followed by no response of the PIR sensor.

Most PIR-Sensors needs a few seconds for calibration.

Moderator edit: Code tags swapped for quote tags.

Could you include a link to the specific PIR that you are using? I would like to see what kind of voltage/current the PIR requires. If you can include a sketch or schematic of your curcuit (or describe it the best you can. Also post your code.