Pixel Driving Device with network switch and buttons

Hi folks.

I need to build a prototype and would like to know if its:

A:) Feasible

and

B:) If there anyone can lend me some assistance (happy to pay depending on the level of involvement!)

The base of the project is an arduino device (ideally an uno) with:

network switch (2 ports)
OLED display
3 x buttons.

This is being mounted in a unit that is 40mm x 40mm x 1000mm.

The function of the device is to accept ART NET in and also pass ART NET out.
The OLED display is to set IP address, and ARTNET information (Start Universe, Start Channel)

and finally

to select fixture mode (essentially pixel grouping).

I look forward to your responses and if there is somewhere else i should be posting this by all means let me know and ill delete and move it.

Thanks very much,

I first came across Art-Net today, so I have no specific advice for you, but since it appears that it uses UDP as a transport mechanism, then an Uno with an ethernet shield should be able to accept, process and transmit Art-Net packets.

In that context though, I'm unsure what you mean by a two port network switch. Are you hoping to make the Uno act as a bridge between networks? I don't recall seeing any projects with a single Arduino having two ethernet connections, not to say that it can't be done, but it would require some hacking of the library.

I’ve found a number of 2 port switches on Ali which i have been told could be used:

Looking at the above i wonder if they meant to use the switch as ARTNET in, ARTNET out and UNO out.

Basically the data is unicast to a particular IP, so each unit would be say 10.0.0.1 next unit 10.0.0.2. The ethernet would daisy chain each of the devices together and each device would just use the data that was being unicast to it.

Thank you for the reply

If you're just using regular ethernet, then daisy chaining doesn't enter into it. Just attach the ethernet capable Unos to any switch on the network where the sender is located and get them an IP address by whatever means. Then ethernet will take care of the delivery of the UDP packets.

Can you use wireless? Ethernet shields are expensive, but ESP8266 is not.

The daisy chaining is necessary as i could have 20 fixtures in a row for instance. Some may only have 30 pixels in each fixture (90/120 channels) but the daisy chaining is necessary i’m afraid!

And wireless is a big no go, these are used in professional installations, film sets etc. i have quite a few wireless units already :slight_smile:

Then I'm missing the point, which given how much I know about Art-Net isn't really a surprise.

Can you elaborate a bit on what's supposed to happen when one of your nodes gets a packet? Does it process the part that references the pixels it controls and pass the rest on to its siblings? I'm still confused as to why the master doesn't just tell the slaves what to do.