Planning to buy a new Arduino, HELP needed.

Hi all, I am new to the Arduino Community and since the past two weeks I have been going through different blogs and books to get started and be clear with my basics. And now that I have got the basic Idea about how the programming Part works, i've decided to get my self an Arduino Board. I Have short listed my Self two Boards That is Arduino Mega 2560 R3 and Arduino ADK. My basic Idea is that I would like to do more things in Wireless Home Automation and ive seen few videos on net regarding Using them with an Android Fone. So I would like to ask is:

1) What is the main Advantage of an ADK over a Mega?? And which board is better to buy in the longer run?

(Like I know that an ADK allows Android Device to be connected in accessory mode, but practically what is the Use of it?)

2) I would also like to ask, if I purchase a Mega 2560, Will I be able to make any wireless connections with an Android Fone (or iPhone) over the internet?? (like without the need of an Ethernet shield and by using a normal USB cable and computer internet.)

It would be very helpful if someone would spend few mins and explain this to me. Thankx in Advance :)

mehtaatur: 1) What is the main Advantage of an ADK over a Mega?? And which board is better to buy in the longer run?

"Better" is a lousy term in hobby engineering projects. The answer to a "which is better" question always starts with the answer "it depends on...". In this case the ADK is a Mega2560. The only difference is the ADK has a built-in USB Host Controller. So the Arduino ADK has the ability to act as a USB host (and not just be a USB device.)

The answer to your "better" question is... "if depends on if you want to connect an Android or other USB device to your Arduino." (Keep in mind, there are limited drivers, so you can't usually just hook up any USB device without writing significant amounts of code.)

mehtaatur: (Like I know that an ADK allows Android Device to be connected in accessory mode, but practically what is the Use of it?)

It allows you to connect your Android Device to an Arduino. I'm not sure how much more explanation can be made here.

mehtaatur: 2) I would also like to ask, if I purchase a Mega 2560, Will I be able to make any wireless connections with an Android Fone (or iPhone) over the internet?? (like without the need of an Ethernet shield and by using a normal USB cable and computer internet.)

I'm unfamiliar with what a "fone" is so I can't speak to that. However, you can't make any wireless connections unless you connect some wireless hardware to the Arduino.

@James Thankx for the reply.

Excuse me for my spelling, by 'Fone' i mean an Android OS based Handset.

Also, you mentioned that I can't connect the Arduino Board without using a Wireless Sheild. But i would like to know that is it possible to control an Arduino via the Net (ie: Giving Arduino a Net Connectivity using USB Cable and then giving it commands from an Android (or any net connected device) to get output)

-Lastly I would just like to clarify 1 thing, If this sort of communication (via net) is possible between and Arduino and an Android fone, Isnt it similar to how an ADK would be connected to an Android (only tht instead of being wireless it will have and USB connected instead)

Thankx :)

mehtaatur: Also, you mentioned that I can't connect the Arduino Board without using a Wireless Sheild. But i would like to know that is it possible to control an Arduino via the Net

The Arduino emulates a serial port. So if you can write an application on the PC that talks to the internet and to a serial port, then you can accomplish this.

mehtaatur: If this sort of communication (via net) is possible between and Arduino and an Android fone, Isnt it similar to how an ADK would be connected to an Android (only tht instead of being wireless it will have and USB connected instead)

Similar how?

@James Thankx for your reply. This helped me clear my doubts greatly. :)