Plastic gear motors not running on batteries!

Hello everyone. I purchased a robot chassis recently and was checking if it was working. I connected 4 motors of the chassis to motor shield connected to arduino and connected a 9v battery to the motor shield. I tried a simple program to run the chassis forward for 10 seconds and backward for 10 seconds. When i connect arduino to pc via usb the chassis is running well but while using 9v battery to the arduino the chassis is not moving and only a noise is produced. I even tried connecting two 9v batteries in series but it didnt work. The chassis is running only when connected to pc via usb.

Can anybody plz tell what went wrong? :(

Hi, If it's a little 9V battery like in small radios it will NOT have enough current.

You need something like 6 AA batteries connected directly to the motor driver to power motors.

You need to post full details of the hardware for any kind of reliable response - which motors? which motor shield? Where's your code?

But certainly you won't get very far with low current batteries like those 9V ones. Motors need lots of current, and some more detail on these motors is really going to help pin down how much current they need, if only by seeing the size...

terryking228: Hi, If it's a little 9V battery like in small radios it will NOT have enough current.

You need something like 6 AA batteries connected directly to the motor driver to power motors.

I had tried that option too. But it didnt work :(

Gayathrimaran0105: I had tried that option too. But it didnt work :(

See #2, reproduced in part here for your convenience:

MarkT: You need to post full details of the hardware for any kind of reliable response - which motors? which motor shield? Where's your code?

MarkT:
You need to post full details of the hardware for any kind of reliable response - which motors?
which motor shield?
Where’s your code?

But certainly you won’t get very far with low current batteries like those 9V ones.
Motors need lots of current, and some more detail on these motors is really going to help pin down
how much current they need, if only by seeing the size…

I am using arduino uno r3.
Motors are plastic gear motors.
The code is attached below.

backwardandforward1.ino (684 Bytes)

Please try to provide useful details of the motor - you must have got it somewhere, they had a website, post the link, it has a nominal voltage? How big is it - a photo out of context isn't enough.

The L293D chip is rated at 0.6A continuous, this might or might not be enough for that motor, but not enough information.

Do you have a multimeter with a DC amps setting? If so measure the motor's running current.