Playground updates live. Comments please.

The new wiki:

Are your eyes burning in pain? Or are those tears of joy?

Please post your likes and dislikes here.

The playgound is calling out for a heroic css guru with a keen design eye to swoop in and perform the another round of improvements. Step right up!

and all of a sudden the thread is dead :)

Tim, what are the particular requirements for fine-tuning the design-- is it just CSS that's needed?

D

and all of a sudden the thread is dead :)

Well, normally I'd be reluctant to give an opinion on such a subjective matter, but my two cents: - Overall I think the new design has a nicer "feel" to it - I'd agree with comments suggesting the current colours are quite dark, so I think they'd benefit from being changed to something "brighter"/"more cheerful"/"playful" perhaps. (Something with a green colour scheme? e.g. green green)

--Phil.

[edit] Hi, I had to look up 'gloomy' in a dictionary first. I like the colors sice they match the current weather conditions here. But as the weather changes so do styles, maybe something a bit more friendly, non-techie would be bettter.

Tim, what are the particular requirements for fine-tuning the design-- is it just CSS that's needed?

for changing the colors a bit of grahics-work needs to be done, too. The frame effects on the sides and the top-bar are achived with graphics.

The bad part of the skin is, that some of the pages need a new formatting because the break the new layout completely (at least on IE5.5 and IE6). This applies to pages with images which are too wide for the content-area (which now has a fixed width) or pages with preformatted text (i.e. code) where lines are too long. The old layout could cope with this by expanding the content area, the new one can't! (I think :-X well, I'm not a web-designer)

Here is a example of a broken page : [/edit]

Hi, you can still see my original comment on the new style up there, but after visiting a few pages on the playground with the Internet-Explorer 5.5, 6 and 7 I'll give up. Some of pages are already come up with broken layout when they are first loaded, and all of the pages fall apart when the user changes the font-size.

A fixed-width layout is probably a bad idea for a wiki thats edit-open to all. We probably need a skin thats more forgiving to codelines with 200 columns (there are pages like that in the playground). [edit] See for instance http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/BadPage which is a copy of a page that tried editing to make it fit for IE5.5 (no luck there, the original page http://www.arduino.cc/playground/LEDMatrix/Max7219 still explodes on font-size changes). [/edit]

Eberhard

Sorry for not being able to help. I'm now overseas in Turkey. :)

It looks fantastic. Only two complaints.

• Selecting text looks weird. It doesnt make the colours negative.
  • The menu looks a little plain.

Hey Folks. I'm glad to see this forum is not flooded with angry rants about the new wiki.

@Daniel. Yeah, I think wayoda and others have mostly pinned it down here. Mostly css. Brighten up the colors a bit. There are some compatibility issues that could be dealt with. A little clean up here and there. The last thread (the long one) also has some good thoughts on ways to touch it up in terms of giving it generally good behavior.

@wayoda. It sounds like you have a setup and knowledge to repair some of these issues? Would you be interested in uploading a round of changes / improvements? Perhaps to repair the IE issues?

And thanks Cheater and Follower for your input. Good points all around.

Hi, sounds like the abitmodern-skin is going to stay. Is that "form follows function" idea a thing of the past? Wow, we now have a layout that looks good on the political correct browsers and badly fails on the ones made by the forces of evil!

@wayoda. It sounds like you have a setup and knowledge to repair some of these issues? Would you be interested in uploading a round of changes / improvements? Perhaps to repair the IE issues?

No, i'd rather work on the content, which was the original goal anyway. But the solution is simple : change the skin to 'monobook' and all the problems with the Internet Explorer (5.5 - 7.0) are gone :-)

Eberhard

At the risk of sounding like a newbie, I think the changes are nice. At the very least, it's not bright pink (/. OMG ponies!).

My only request is increasing the right column's max width. With IE or Firefox the space for text is only half my window's width, with a large empty void on the right side. (My monitor's resolution is 1280x1024)

...I know nothing about web development and design, and I tend to get buried in other work and disappear for months at a time, or I'd volunteer to help. But, I dug through a page's HTML, found the link to abitmodern.css, and checked the settings for "#col-right". It appears to be limited to a max of 600px, which corresponds to what I'm seeing. I get the impression it was set to that for a reason, from reading other posts...

On a separate note, with IE 6 I see an extra indent to the left of the menu. Some types of content like wide pictures and code snippets make the content begin below the menu, causing the left edge of the black text to overlap the brown background color of the indent, making it partially unreadable. If the max width can be increased it would probably make the problem go away in most cases, for people using a monitor resolution above 800x600.

The alternative is removing code snippets (or shortening their lines) and shrinking pictures to make things fit nicely.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse; it looks like nobody's replied to this thread for a while.

The playground re-design is too dark and gloomy, I've been in there for ages trying to find material for a project I'm working on but have given up, it doesn't make sense anymore and is way too hard to read (my eye sights pretty good).

Its quite a repelling scheme/design its not somewhere I'd ever want to visit unless its a last resort - like now, can it be switched back to the way it was? really, to whom ever did this - what were you thinking?