Playing a simple sound file on Arduino Nano, while also controlling LED's

I am building a cosplay object for a friend (Daisy's racket from Mario Tennis) and was wondering how difficult it would be to incorporate sound.

I am a very amateur builder, normally doing LED control and 3d printing for projects.

What i am envisioning is a 3d printed racket in clear, LEDs' pointed down the "strings" of clear PLA, that will
change color and brightness.

When the user hits the button built into the handle it will change the color to a bright color mode, and play a single "Whack" noise from the base of the handle. I have looked and seen there videos on this, but no tutorials explaining how it is done or what resistors i should be including to make sure i don't fry the poor little nano.

Right now the plan is to run all of this on a lipstick USB charger, so 5v .5-1a is my working power source.

I am working on fitting all of this into a handle, which i can make a little larger then necessary, but more or less a 4cm diameter tube.

Suggestions or insight would be helpful!

Thanks
Mike

I am building a cosplay object for a friend (Daisy's racket from Mario Tennis)

I don't know what kind of sound that is...

The Arduino doesn't have a DAC so there is no true analog output. It can make [u]square wave tones[/u] and it can directly-drive a piezo speaker. (It sounds like those musical greeting cards.)

If you want to play more complex sounds (such as short WAV or MP3 files) you'll need some more hardware. And, you'll need to add an amplifier if you want to drive a regular 4 or 8-ohm speaker. (A piezo speaker/transducer is only good for high frequencies... It's just a tweeter.)

The best solution is usually to add an [u]audio shield[/u]. The audio shield will have a memory slot (for the sound files), a sample-rate clock, a DAC, and some can decode an MP3, and some have an amplifier. So the audio shield does all of the "work" and the Arduino simply acts as a "controller" to start/stop playback and to choose the sound file, etc. In some applications you don't even need the Arduino.

Or, there is also a library called TMRpcm which "approximates" analog/PCM with fast-PWM. Then, you only need an SD card shield (for the audio file) and an amplifier. But there can be "issues and complications" because it's not true-analog. (I've never used TMRpcm.)