Playing with PROGMEM and __FlashStringHelper

Hi all. The code below compiles and runs correctly on an Adafruit ESP8266 Huzzah. I'm just wondering if there's a syntax that will assign the 'hello' variable directly from the string literal without going through the intermediate variable 'string'. Thanks.

void setup() {
  static char string[] PROGMEM  =  "Hello World";
  __FlashStringHelper *hello = (__FlashStringHelper *)string;
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(2000);

Serial.println();
  Serial.println(hello);
}

void loop() {}

strcpy_P ? (I'm not really clear why you want)

AWOL: strcpy_P ?

Don't think so. I want to accomplish this, but in a single line:

Is there such a syntax?

gfvalvo: Don't think so. I want to accomplish this, but in a single line:

Is there such a syntax?

I'm not sure I understand either...

you are creating a new pointer to string called hello..?..?

I was thinking of a string in PROGMEM that I could print from multiple places in my code without having to have 'F("This is my string")' everywhere. That way, if I want to change it (at compile time obviously), I only need to do so in one place. This does the job:

void setup() {
  const __FlashStringHelper *hello = F("Hello World");
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(2000);

Serial.println();
  Serial.println(hello);
  Serial.println(hello);
}

void loop() {
}

So does this, but it takes up more PROGMEM space:

void setup() {
  #define hello F("Hello World")
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(2000);

Serial.println();
  Serial.println(hello);
  Serial.println(hello);
}

void loop() {
}
const char PROGMEM hello[] = "Hello World";
    :
  Serial.print((__FlashStringHelper *)hello);

PROGMEM adequately puts strings in flash. __FlashStringHelper is only needed to fool C++ into calling the proper version of print() The F() macro contains additional magic to put the literal string into PROGMEM that isn't needed if you've put it there yourself; it might be worthwhile creating a new macro (FV for "Flash Variable"?) to make things prettier:

#define FV(s) ((__FlashStringHelper*)(s))
   const char PROGMEM hello[] = "Hello World";
    :
  Serial.print(FV(hello));

(all this assuming that the ESP8266 has things set up to behave the way that they do on AVR...)

westfw: (all this assuming that the ESP8266 has things set up to behave the way that they do on AVR...)

I had wondered about that. Adding the PROGMEM stuff does change the memory usage report from the IDE, so it does do SOMETHING.

Think I prefer:

It's succinct and doesn't require any extra baggage inside the print() statement.

It’s succinct and doesn’t require any extra baggage inside the print() statement.

It doesn’t seem to work in global context, though:

/Applications/arduino/Arduino-1.8.5.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/WString.h:38:74: error: statement-expressions are not allowed outside functions nor in template-argument lists
              #define F(string_literal) (reinterpret_cast<const __FlashStringHelper *>(PSTR(string_literal)))
const __FlashStringHelper *hello2= F("Hello World");

@gfvalvo, is there a reason you are not just using the Flash Library?

As I said in Reply #4, I was looking for a way to define a PROGMEM string once and then be able to print it from multiple locations in the code. So, since it's defined in only one place, I could change it (at compile time) to a different string and the change would be effective everywhere it's used. This works (even in Global space):

const char string[] PROGMEM  =  "Hello World";

If you are responding to my post you did not answer the question.

I think the @westfw option seems more explicable in the natural code:

#define FV(x) (__FlashStringHelper*)(x)

template<class T> inline Print &operator << (Print &obj, T arg)
{
  obj.print(arg);
  return obj;
};

const char hello[] PROGMEM  =  "Hello";
const char world[] PROGMEM  =  "World";

void setup() 
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial << FV(hello) << F(" ") << FV(world);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

what you are doing (it seems to me) obfuscates that the string is, well, special

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1512953363 link=msg=3519464] If you are responding to my post you did not answer the question. [/quote] Guess I don't know. Please provide an example of accomplishing this using the Flash Library:

gfvalvo: As I said in Reply #4, I was looking for a way to define a PROGMEM string once and then be able to print it from multiple locations in the code. So, since it's defined in only one place, I could change it (at compile time) to a different string and the change would be effective everywhere it's used.

Searching using the obvious keywords…
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+flash+library

…leads to this…
http://arduiniana.org/libraries/flash/

…which has a link to download the library.

The library is not compatible with the latest Arduino IDE. Add the following to line 30 in Flash.h…

typedef char prog_char;

Let’s work with this example…

#include <Flash.h>

FLASH_STRING(string, "Hello World");

void setup(void)
{
  Serial.begin( 250000 );

/* Does not work with the current Flash Library...
  Serial.print( string ); */

// Does work...
  Serial << string;

// Does work...
  string.print( Serial );
}

void loop(void) { }

The usual way to print Flash strings does not work with the current versions of the Arduino IDE and the Flash Library. It worked in the past which means a simple change is likely to get it working again. (Adding an operator __FlashStringHelper*() const is likely all that is needed.)

The only annoyance is the unusual syntax for defining a string.

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1512956024 link=msg=3519485] The only annoyance is the unusual syntax for defining a string. [/quote] Not seeing a whole lot of value added over the code in Reply #9, which is actually the code in my original post.