PLEASE HELP ANYONE - Senior Design Project

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a Biomedical Engineering Senior Design project to develop a device to monitor Kangaroo Mother Care, in which an infant is held skin to skin with mother. We have been using arduino microcontrollers and are coding in arduino but now we need a sensor to detect contact between the mother and the infant. ANY sensor which will recognize when infant's skin touches the skin of the mother.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED !!
we are on a tight deadline and would love any help we could get.

Thank you !!!
Stressed UConn Engineering Students

Hi Huskies,

FIRST: SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!

Must be battery powered and not connected to USB or other wiring of any kind!

This is difficult unless you can make an electrical connection to each of the (2 humans) involved. Like a ECG electrode. That's kind of intrusive. Hmmmmm.

Anyone else have ideas??

... I dropped out of Uconn 56 years ago so I might Know Nothing :slight_smile:

Me and my kid were playing with a makey makey the other day. He had one clip in his hand and I had the other. When we gave each other a high five (skin to skin) the makey makey sent a keystroke.

Interesting that you specify skin-to-skin contact. Are you excluding any body parts with hair/fur?

Paul

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Yes there would be hair involved in between the skin to skin contact as the contact is to occur between the chest of the infant and the chest of the mother.

Best,
Senior Design Group 2

seniordesignteam2:
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Yes there would be hair involved in between the skin to skin contact as the contact is to occur between the chest of the infant and the chest of the mother.

Best,
Senior Design Group 2

That makes it much more difficult. Hair is an insulator. The deer going under my electric fence with 5,000 volts seldom get shocked.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Interesting that you specify skin-to-skin contact. Are you excluding any body parts with hair/fur?

Paul

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! We were thinking there would be some hair involved between the connection as the chest of the baby will be in contact with the chest of the mother so there will most likely be hair in between. We are currently looking into using a capacitance touch sensor? Are there any thoughts on pros/cons of this?

seniordesignteam2:
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! We were thinking there would be some hair involved between the connection as the chest of the baby will be in contact with the chest of the mother so there will most likely be hair in between. We are currently looking into using a capacitance touch sensor? Are there any thoughts on pros/cons of this?

sorry to specify once again - we are talking about a human infant and mother !! the method of care is called kangaroo mother care but it is used for human beings

seniordesignteam2:
sorry to specify once again - we are talking about a human infant and mother !! the method of care is called kangaroo mother care but it is used for human beings

Now you are into the realm of medical uses and I am out of here!

Paul

This is out of the box, but could you use a biomedical sensor that takes EMG, ECG and EEG readings? There's probably some signature readings to signal when the mother and baby are touching. A sensor like below. Just a thought and I've never tried it.