PLEASE HELP - Class Project: Backup Camera and Display on wheelchair.

For a class project, we are attempting to make a backup camera system for a wheelchair. It’s just a prototype and doesn’t have to look fancy!

Hardware:

~ Arduino Mega2560
~ ArduCAM 2MP OV2640
~ 3.5 TFT LCD Shield

I have been searching the internet for a couple of weeks trying to figure out how to connect everything. I have been able to run sample programs with the display and camera separately, but not together. The best library I have found for the Display is the LCD_Wiki (link below).

I cannot figure out how to send a live stream of data from the ArduCAM to the LCD. The ArduCAM works well on my computer by using an application made by the company.

If anyone can tell me if this is even possible and how to go about it I would greatly appreciate it. I’ll attach a picture of all my hardware and links to each product as well. Please help!

LCD_WIKI — 3.5inch Arduino Display-UNO - LCD wiki

Camera — https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Module-Megapixels-Arduino-Mega2560/dp/B012UXNDOY/ref=asc_df_B012UXNDOY/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455509968&psc=1

Display — https://www.amazon.com/Display-Screen-Module-Arduino-480x320/dp/B07HN62F7T/ref=asc_df_B07HN62F7T/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001422624707&psc=1

You realise that you get camera + monitor for ~ 100 bucks on amazon, and less than 30 bucks on banggood? e.g. BOSCAM K7 Drahtlos Digital Rückfahrkamera Set mit Eingebautem Funksender, 5" LCD Monitor, Kabellose Rückfahrkamera mit IP68 Wasserdichter Kamera, Nachtsicht für Kfz, SUV, Van, Campingbus, Anhänger: Amazon.de: Elektronik & Foto

The Mega2560 has a 16MHz 8 bit AVR. Best you can expect is a wheelchair backup slideshow.

And worse for beginners. this is not a beginner project but I expect it will work with some help.

Arduinos for video, you want ones with ARM chips, not AVR.

The camera has to feed pixel frames to the board. The board displays one before getting the next fast enough to fool human eyes (about 40ms or less). But the first thing is get the display to show a picture at all.

With an AVR, ultrasonic distance backup sensors would be far easier and maybe should go with the camera.

Is a physics teacher in on this?

Such cameras with display are indeed readily available for cheap, and Arduinos are not exactly good friends for cameras.

What is the intended function of the Arduino here?

Again the "Arduino to do anything" meme! :roll_eyes:

LongNeckTimmy:
I cannot figure out how to send a live stream of data from the ArduCAM to the LCD.

With an Arduino (such as a Mega), you clearly can not.

LongNeckTimmy:
The ArduCAM works well on my computer by using an application made by the company.

So there is the hint. Use a computer to do the job.

Raspberry Pi is the obvious choice if you must.

20191122_020634.jpg
This is not an Arduino project. Wrong parts. You want a reversing camera; just buy a reversing camera kit. :sunglasses:

don't get too worried, there is some way to get there.

youtube link

as was mentioned, the Arduino UNO and MEGA use a lower power processor.

things like the newest NANO boards use a much faster microcontroller.
boards like the ESP8266 also offer a faster chip.

the link above shows how to use an ESP8266 with the arducam you have.
it is not going to give your high speed video, or video in real time. it will give you choppy video.

Before you get too disappointed, or buy any more stuff, please watch a few videos on what others have done.
check the descriptions and see how well it is documented. as you know, just because someone else has done a thing does not mean we can all do it.

As you said, it works on your computer, but your computer has a lot more speed and power than an arduino.
as someone said, the Raspberry Pi could do this. the RPi is a mini computer and has a lot more power consumption, not a good device for battery use. but is also more complicated.

watch some videos on the ESP32 and the camera it supports. you may find that offers 'good enough' resolution.

if this were not a school project, I would also suggest getting a simple WiFi cam and use your cell phone as the display.

My RPi 3+ B draws 10W or less on average. Add a display, it'd be more of course.
The drain on a wheelchair battery should be insignificant.

RPi can run Android or Linux or some other OS'es and has a large software base.

Even so, I have to load KODI to watch video files. I would check carefully to make sure of what is available being able to work as expected.