Please help, errors with using parallel port

Hello arduino experts, recently my arduino has the problem of stop responding to upload command. It all of a sudden after all the successive uploads which i used it for 3 months. Thus, i believe it has already toasted. I have researched the forums for solutions, trying unplugging all the pins, reconnect it, or pressing the reset button and so on. But nothing works. I did noticed that the ATMEGA328 chip gets very hot over the power on periods. So i resolve to buying new chips and burn it via bootloader method but now since my chips havent arrive from vendor, i resolve to using the parallel port at the moment. The problem with using parallel port is i follow all the guidelines in the arduino website:

1. power up arduino using usb
  2. interface the arduino icsp pin to cmputer parallel port
  3. change the preferences.txt command to upload using parallel
  4. Select correct board
  5. editted registry entry for the polling problem in xp
  6. burn the bootloader via parallel port

however, error comes out saying avrdude: AVR device not responding avrdude: initialisation failed, rc=-1 avrdude: yikes! invalid device signature avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1K 95 OF avrdude: AVR device not responding ***failed; avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x05 !=0x07 avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Can you suggests any alternatives to solve this problem? Please help, im a newbie, thanks!

It sounds like the 328 chip could be bad. Especially since it gets hot under normal use. However, there may be other things wrong also. Check the 5V supply on the board to be sure it hasn't failed. Measure the current the board is using, it may be pulling too much power.

However, if the 328 if toasted, you cannot load it. It will continue to fail until you replace it. You might be able to load the board using a different device if the usb to serial device (8U2 or ftdi chip) is bad, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.