Please help me on this sensor

Hello guys!

Can someone figure what kind of sensor is he using.. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAp1snPchT4&feature=related Please.. Please.. Please..

I've only got 4 days to finish my project.. I don't know what to do... I will not graduate if I can't pass this project.. I would love to kill myself..=( =( =(

Btw I'm going to feed the output of that sensor to arduino deicimila..

Forget trying to work out what sensor he is using and concentrate on what sensor you need to use for your project. What do you want to sense?

First of all, stay cool. We’re here to help.

It could be an infrared led combined with an infrared sensor (phototransitor or photodiode).
Google for [infrared tranmittor receiver] or [infrared reflective sensor]

Most people use a seperate IR led and IR sensor.
Like in these projects:

http://www.next.gr/inside-circuits/heartbeat-monitor-l7125.html

Grumpy_Mike: Forget trying to work out what sensor he is using and concentrate on what sensor you need to use for your project. What do you want to sense?

All I have here sir: IR Led and LDR, just going to try if this works...

Krodal: First of all, stay cool. We're here to help.

It could be an infrared led combined with an infrared sensor (phototransitor or photodiode). Google for [infrared tranmittor receiver] or [infrared reflective sensor]

Most people use a seperate IR led and IR sensor. Like in these projects: http://embedded-lab.com/blog/?p=1671 http://suchamagicworld.blogspot.com/2008/04/still-alive-heartbeat-irsensor-report.html http://www.next.gr/inside-circuits/heartbeat-monitor-l7125.html

Ok thanks sir... I've been making to many pulse sensors but none seems to be stable. I'm just gonna try the IR led and a LDR.

A IR phototransistor receives a 'beam', the ldr captures light from around. You need both the IR sender and the IR receiver to have a 'beam' to 'look' inside the thumb.

An cadmium sulphide ldr is not sensitive for infrared. It's sensitivity is less than 10% for infrared. A ldr is not very responsive, it can capture 10Hz maximum, but only poorly.

Krodal: A IR phototransistor receives a 'beam', the ldr captures light from around. You need both the IR sender and the IR receiver to have a 'beam' to 'look' inside the thumb.

An cadmium sulphide ldr is not sensitive for infrared. It's sensitivity is less than 10% for infrared. A ldr is not very responsive, it can capture 10Hz maximum, but only poorly.

sir what do you think would be the best sensor for a pulse monitor. Do I have to buy an optical sensor like tcrt5000l?

hi man!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_oximetry :) those thingies can say the heart rate, 2... they shine through a finger and hurt... :blush:

the sensor in the video obviously has 3 legs and it uses ambient light... i guess it is a "photo transistor" (a photodiode amplified with a npn transistor)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodiode#Other_modes_of_operation maybe ur local electronics shack can give u some advice?

have fun :P

RIDDICK: .....the sensor in the video obviously has 3 legs and it uses ambient light... i guess it is a "photo transistor" (a photodiode amplified with a npn transistor).....

I disagree. The sensor looks square on top. The light seems to be IR light and seems to come from the sensor. So it's probably a IR reflective sensor.

edit: UV light -> IR light

oh - ok... there might b a 4th leg... :-) there is a resistor that wouldnt make sense without a 4th leg...

ps: i think u mean IR light...

Krodal:

RIDDICK: .....the sensor in the video obviously has 3 legs and it uses ambient light... i guess it is a "photo transistor" (a photodiode amplified with a npn transistor).....

I disagree. The sensor looks square on top. The light seems to be IR light and seems to come from the sensor. So it's probably a IR reflective sensor.

edit: UV light -> IR light

sir I'm going to buy a TCRT5000L. Don't know what are the pin configurations. Sir can u please give me some hints. Btw the delivery is two days and the last day is my last resort.. =( =( =(

Thanks in advance...

I'm going to buy a TCRT5000L. Don't know what are the pin configurations.

Looks fairly clear to me: http://www.vishay.com/docs/83760/tcrt5000.pdf

AWOL:

I'm going to buy a TCRT5000L. Don't know what are the pin configurations.

Looks fairly clear to me: http://www.vishay.com/docs/83760/tcrt5000.pdf

sir can I ask you for the code?

is this code ok for detecting a pulse?

const int tcrtPin = 2;     // connected to the TCRT5000 C pin
const int led =  13;      // the number of the LED pin

// variables will change:
int tcrtState = 0;         // variable for reading the pushbutton status

void setup() {
  // initialize the LED pin as an output:
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
  // initialize the tcrt5000 pin as an input, and turn on the internal pullup resistors:
  pinMode(tcrtPin, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(tcrtPin, HIGH);
}

void loop(){
  // read the state of the tcrt5000:
  tcrtState = digitalRead(tcrtPin);

// check if the tcrt5000 sensor detects something.
  // if it is, the tcrtState is HIGH:
  if (tcrtState == LOW) {
    // turn LED on:
    digitalWrite(led, HIGH);
  }
  else {
    // turn LED off:
    digitalWrite(led, LOW);
  }
}

Please help sir... =(

I am really noob in programming but I want to learn really. I've got only 3 days to finish my project, if not I will not graduate =( =( =(

Is this code ok for detecting a pulse:

const int tcrtPin = 2;     // connected to the TCRT5000 C pin
const int led =  13;      // the number of the LED pin

// variables will change:
int tcrtState = 0;         // variable for reading the pushbutton status

void setup() {
  // initialize the LED pin as an output:
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
  // initialize the tcrt5000 pin as an input, and turn on the internal pullup resistors:
  pinMode(tcrtPin, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(tcrtPin, HIGH);
}

void loop(){
  // read the state of the tcrt5000:
  tcrtState = digitalRead(tcrtPin);

// check if the tcrt5000 sensor detects something.
  // if it is, the tcrtState is HIGH:
  if (tcrtState == LOW) {
    // turn LED on:
    digitalWrite(led, HIGH);
  }
  else {
    // turn LED off:
    digitalWrite(led, LOW);
  }
}

And can someone tell what are the good values of resistors to be put in the connections of TCRT5000L or atleast give me some hints.. please please please help... Btw I've done so many circuits for pulse monitor. But nothing seems good. This is my last resort :drooling_face:

Thanks in advance....

38 posts, and still no links to the hardware? Oh, well. I'll check back later, to see if you really want help.

What code?
You asked for pinouts.

I don’t have one of these sensors, and I don’t have your circuit, so I don’t know what the thresholds are.

@OP Please DO NOT CROSS-POST.

I'm finding this very annoying.. you have shown up three days before your final project (required for graduation) is due, having done nothing at all, including the research. You then post the requirements for the project in the form of an illegal copy of a copyrighted book written by a frequent poster here on the Arduino forums. Your teacher in this "school" of yours distributes illegal copies of books as classroom text, and doesn't even bother to explain them. My best suggestion is that you blackmail the teacher for an "A" based upon his illegal use of copyrighted materials for his curriculum. Not that you deserve the "A"...

You certainly haven't given anyone much of a reason to want to assist.

Most of us here have been in the working world and/or school, and have faced the consequences if we didn't do our work. Showing up here in a panic like this.. asking everyone do the work that you simply chose not to... I'm not a fan of.

focalist: I'm finding this very annoying.. you have shown up three days before your final project (required for graduation) is due, having done nothing at all, including the research. You then post the requirements for the project in the form of an illegal copy of a copyrighted book written by a frequent poster here on the Arduino forums. Your teacher in this "school" of yours distributes illegal copies of books as classroom text, and doesn't even bother to explain them. My best suggestion is that you blackmail the teacher for an "A" based upon his illegal use of copyrighted materials for his curriculum. Not that you deserve the "A"...

You certainly haven't given anyone much of a reason to want to assist.

Most of us here have been in the working world and/or school, and have faced the consequences if we didn't do our work. Showing up here in a panic like this.. asking everyone do the work that you simply chose not to... I'm not a fan of.

To tell you sir this is my last resort. If you find it annoying then please leave this thread. You know I've done so many circuits using sensors like LDR, photodiode, phototrans.. can't remember the names.

I just want some help that's all....

AWOL:
@OP Please DO NOT CROSS-POST.

ok sir sorry