Please Help. Quick Questions on New Project.

Hello Arduino Community, I am trying to start up a project of mine that is related to the flex sensor with servo glove. The glove has a flex sensor for each finger and sends signals to the servo the turn in order for the fingers on the robot to move. My project will be the same but I would like to use stepper motors. Is it possible? What will i need in order to operate 5 stepper motors and 5 flex sensors? So far i have an arduino uno. How will I go about coding it? Thank you.

Yes, that should be possible, although to use stepper motors you'd need to provide a driver circuit (usually a pair of H-bridges) per stepper motor - a servo is much easier to use since it has the driver circuit built in and just needs a control signal from the Arduino.

In short, yes. That will work with stepper motors.

Now, here's the tricky part. Lets assume you have 3 fingers. And each of the 3 fingers has a sensor in it. Lets also assume that you have for parts: 1x Aruduino Uno, 3x stepper motors that have 4 leads (2 phase) 3x sensors sensors that have 3 leads each. (pwr, gnd, reading to test) 3x H Bridge Motor controllers (probably the cheapest ones you can find on dx.com)

So, here's the deal, you can only fit 3 steppers per Arduino Uno. If you look on the digital side, you will see d0-d13. The other 6 analog pins are for your sensors. d0-d3 would go to your motor sheild in1-in4 and then you would go ahead and link your stepper motors into motors a and motor b. Make sure you get the wiring order for your steppers from the manufacturer. they will tell you which one is a+, a-, b+, b-. rinse repeat for the next 2 motors

Simple enough, right? when you code it tho, make sure that you have it setup so that for every 15 steps, it checks to see if A0/A1/A2/etc.. whatever the sensor is, hasn't tripped yet, if it has, continue to go 15 steps. If not, exit the squeeze loop.

So, your 'squeeze' function is going to be it's own code block, the 'release' is going to be it's own code block, and you'll call call it from the main() subroutine. When a sensor trips, you exit squeeze for that finger, or you tell it to go 3 more steps to get a good grip on it.. or whatever, it's your project. But thats the best advice I can give you. You'll find better ways of doing it, and the more you work with it, the better you'll get at it.

Alright that sounds perfect thanks for the help fellas.

JustDoc: In short, yes. That will work with stepper motors.

Now, here's the tricky part. Lets assume you have 3 fingers. And each of the 3 fingers has a sensor in it. Lets also assume that you have for parts: 1x Aruduino Uno, 3x stepper motors that have 4 leads (2 phase) 3x sensors sensors that have 3 leads each. (pwr, gnd, reading to test) 3x H Bridge Motor controllers (probably the cheapest ones you can find on dx.com)

So, here's the deal, you can only fit 3 steppers per Arduino Uno. If you look on the digital side, you will see d0-d13. The other 6 analog pins are for your sensors. d0-d3 would go to your motor sheild in1-in4 and then you would go ahead and link your stepper motors into motors a and motor b. Make sure you get the wiring order for your steppers from the manufacturer. they will tell you which one is a+, a-, b+, b-. rinse repeat for the next 2 motors

Simple enough, right? when you code it tho, make sure that you have it setup so that for every 15 steps, it checks to see if A0/A1/A2/etc.. whatever the sensor is, hasn't tripped yet, if it has, continue to go 15 steps. If not, exit the squeeze loop.

So, your 'squeeze' function is going to be it's own code block, the 'release' is going to be it's own code block, and you'll call call it from the main() subroutine. When a sensor trips, you exit squeeze for that finger, or you tell it to go 3 more steps to get a good grip on it.. or whatever, it's your project. But thats the best advice I can give you. You'll find better ways of doing it, and the more you work with it, the better you'll get at it.

Will this be fine: http://dx.com/p/l298n-stepper-motor-driver-controller-board-for-arduino-120542 Since I need to control 5 stepper motors, should i get another uno or get a mega? What would be the best? Or is there a shield for it?

Thats the same motor controller that I am using. Until you hash out 3, I would continue using the UNO, But I believe the MEGA would be the one you want to use for 5.