Please help: Unable to establish stable connection to network with wifi shield

Hi all,

Hereby wish to have your advise on setting the wifi shield for internet connection.

I am following this website : http://www.dfrobot.com/community/index.php/2011/07/tutorial-dfrobot-wifi-shield-sku-tel0019/

I noticed that my wifi shield keep on reset the connection and making the connection (ethenet and internet) very unstable. I have hard time to load the configuration page and even the page is loaded successfully, i will need to reload and refresh for several times in order to proceed to next steps.

Yet the connection only sustain for less than 2 minutes and the connection is out again and again... I need to unplug the power and rest the kit until it cool down. Then i have to reset the IP to factory mode, and reconfigure everything again. Then only i can only make connection again. On thing i noticed with the wifi shield is it get very hot about 1 minutes!

Please advise me for the possible faulty and steps i can take to fix the problem.

Below are the steps i have taken to configure the thing: 1) Obtain a router ip address (Says 192.168.2.1) and an unused ip (Says 192.168.2.200) address. *** i take ip address that return me "Destination Host Unreachable" *** 2) Connect the wifi shield to my pc via LAN cable. 3) Set my PC ip to 192.168.1.XXX (Since the default ip for the wifi shield is 192.168.1.254) 4) Point my browser to 192.168.254 and set the ip add for the wifi shield to 192.168.2.000 and default gateway to 192.168.2.1 5) Once changes made successfully, change my connection setting to DHCP mood. *** set ipv4 setting to "Obtain IP address & DNS automatically" *** 6) Point browser to 192.168.2.200 and proceed with wireless and serial set up.

Yet, the setting process doesn't go smooth to me... the connection keep on reset (connect and disconnected) and i need to refresh the browser for many times in order to load the page.

Many thanks. Hope to have your reply soonest possible.

On thing i noticed with the wifi shield is it get very hot about 1 minutes!

After a time, the thing probably shuts down to prevent major damage. You need to deal with this problem before trying to solve the software aspect. Perhaps once you do, the software side will work OK.

How are you powering the Arduino/wifi shield? Which wifi shield is it?

Hi pauls,

Many thanks for your reply.

I input 4xAA batery which will give me about 5+ V to the wifi shield. The EE component doesn't get hot easily after i replace the power supply as above. So far I can load the configuration page and browse to internet smoothly (Up to network and wireless setting). But the connection will be reset after some time (may be 30 minutes gaps)

Previously i set the wifi shield ip at 192.168.2.200, and i manage to connect to internet after reset the shield and waited for couples minutes. When i am about to proceed with serial setting at 192.168.2.200 with my browser, Serial setting never successful as the page can’t be load anymore. Sometimes connection will be reset.

Please advise again and I am very appreciate for your aids.

Best regards, cielle

My wifi shield is WIZnet (wiz610wi wireless module). I am powering it with the arduino kit.

I assemble the wifi shield on top of the arduino kit.