Please help with begginer resources...

Hello,
I have just ordered a couple of banks, some sensors, a pack of resistors, bread board, jumpers, etc. While the Arduino looks fairly easy as i have a C background I cannot say the same in regards to building circuits. I am a total begginer in that department. The tutorials for various projects look great and I very much intend to use them but I have trying to find a more generalized overview of the electronics end before I dive in. Something along the lines of when to use this resistor or this capacitor(voltage regulator, crystal, etc.) and why. What I would really like is practical resource that focuses less on theory(to the extent possible) and more on practice. I would like to learn more detail of the theory later on but at this point I'm envisioning the various sensors and I/O devices I'd like to use for future projects and can't even visualize how I would assemble them. If someone could point me to a begginers resource for building circuits that's geared toward arduino I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Mike

You could do worse that look at Arduino for Teens by forum members Crossroads and Mrs Crossroads.

I find Electronics Club very useful, although it doesn't have any kind of Arduino slant.

I think I'm past the beginner stage by now lol

But when starting out with arduino 9/10 times you'll be wanting to power things a digital pin simply can't power due to it's 40ma (max) per pin limitation.

But what confused me the most was, ok so this goes here, this goes there and that's how a transistor works, but you quickly find other examples where the transistor is wired up differently.

So what I'm basically saying is... there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, you'll find similar components or infact identical components wired up differently.

Eg a low pass filter is identical to a high pass filter except with 2 components in reverse, using a transistor to sink rather than source current!

There's a learning curve but thankfully with a bit of dedication it's not as bad as learning C.

Read up on ohms law, and learn how to calculate wattage, you don't want to try and power a 5 watt sensor with 0.6watt transistor.

cjdelphi:
Eg a low pass filter is identical to a high pass filter except with 2 components in reverse, using a transistor to sink rather than source current!

That's a rather mixed metaphor!