Please please help me I've spent all night trying to make Arduino UNO work ;(

Hi Guys i am a complete noob with electronics like this, i have been reading about a project on a forum and I am trying to replicate it so I have purchased all the components and fallen at the very first hurdle getting the basics to work , and I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

I run a MAC with OS 10.9.3 I have downloaded the software form the web site and following the getting started guide, BUT when I go to select Serial Port I don’t have the USB named ones from the guide, I have downloaded the drivers FTDIUSBSerial Driver 10_4 restarted the MAC and nothing. I only have 4 listed all Bluetooth 2 Incoming and 2 Modem without this USB one I am unable to load the code and get the basic flashing led program working , (hitting head on desk)

Hardware Arduino Uno and Arduino motor shield all purchased today so latest models I guess.

Edit - I have looked at troubleshooting and checked firewall and it’s off so it’s not that stopping the USB form working, I have a full on music studio all connecting via USB from my iMac so I know they all work as I’m swapping things around a lot.

Please help me as it can’t be this hard to simply plug in a usb card and send it code, the error message received below and I have tired to upload a pic below to show you what I can see

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 18:52:52
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “/Users/richardwalton/Downloads/Arduino-2.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf”
User configuration file is “/Users/richardwalton/.avrduderc”
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done. Thank you.

I have been up all night reading the forums and it would appear Arduino UNO doesn't work with MAC running Mavric software.. what a waste of money as itclearly states on the box it does

I have tried the below and nothing changed it can still only see blue tooth serial ports : ( one very disappointed customer

Solution (as partially provided by the website above)
Type the following commands into the terminal:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
sudo mv AppleUSBFTDI.kext AppleUSBFTDI.disabled
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Does anyone know how to fix it out side of what I have tried ... so annoyed as I expected more from this product

I have been up all night reading the forums and it would appear Arduino UNO doesn't work with MAC running Mavric software.. what a waste of money as itclearly states on the box it does

No true. It works for me on a Mac with Mavrics.

Have you opened the network prefrances and see what shows up.
Also look in the utilities folder for the USB prober application.
What sort of arduino do you have? A UNO does not need any drivers.

Yes I have an uno , why can't I see the USB connection as shown in my above picture what do I need to do then as I have tired most things I can think off

right above Serial Port on that menu is Board.

Did you select the Uno board?

Yes I havre it selected as per the tutorial but then I don’t have access to a USB drive of any kind, hens the frustration everything else seems to work ok

Any ideas

did you already:

exit arduino IDE and restart it?

reboot your mac and restart arduino IDE?

Restarted and reset my mac about 5 times no changes

I Have tried different USB cables and ports no change

“Have you opened the network prefrances and see what shows up.
Also look in the utilities folder for the USB prober application.
What sort of arduino do you have? A UNO does not need any drivers.”

Pictures below that USB Prober application doesn’t exist on my Mac searched in spotlight and in utilities folder , nothing showing in network preferences

I have also tried this on my work Macbook Air and the same thing happens no access too USB serial : (

I plugged in both my Uno and my Due. Both appear in the IDE tools menu. Plus they show up with USB prober (screen shot attached). They do not show up on the network prefs.
USB Prober is part of the development kit that includes Xcode. You might be able to down load it separately.
Here is what it does:-
http://touch-base.com/documentation/USBMacProber.htm

Having said that all it shows is that it is possible to use the Arduino on 10.9.3, I did not have to do anything to get this going so maybe there is something wrong with your Arduino?

Im not sue what running this command has done to my Mac but I can now get sound out of my external Audio Interface running via Thunderbolt, it defiantly has a signal going through it ......aghhh now going to re instal Mavrics what a palaver

Solution (as partially provided by the website above)
Type the following commands into the terminal:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
sudo mv AppleUSBFTDI.kext AppleUSBFTDI.disabled
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Thank you Grumpy Mike & others for sticking with me to fix the problem I have spent the whole of last night reloading my OS ect ect .... To finally have enough and walk into Maplins with my Macbook Air and the Arduino and bang the Arduino was faulty ....aghhhhhhhhhh

I tried another and bingo it recognised it straight away so once again a huge thanks for all your help. I have just tried the upload and it worked first time.....

I now need help getting my stepper motor turning under this program so I will start a new thread to see who can help me further

Any comments on my next question would be much appreciated

Spoke to soon , back to square one... I have just reconnected the Arduino and now again you can't see the USB drives again. seriously WTF I have tried both my macbook air and my Mac and nothing ...... Rubbish product and yes restarted Mac , Macbook air and Arduino software and still nothing

if it made any difference the L led was flashing she I first plugged in now its juts solid green

Any chance you did something to damage it with your motor?

have you attached the UNO via serial at the same time that the 12VDC power supply was attached?

BulldogLowell:
have you attached the UNO via serial at the same time that the 12VDC power supply was attached?

That should not have given any trouble because the arduino has an automatic switch to change supplies. More like the 12V supply was not connected to the arduino ground.

or the pin is center ground...

So from what your saying the bored is ruined, why does it still power up and led light up ect but not allow connect ?

could I ask you to look at URL for my motor question on the previous page, as I am trying to connect a arduino uno and motor sheild and all I done was put in the power supply into the uno built in connection, it's a 12v dc 5amp power supply.

I will now need to buy another one so your advice on supplying both the uno and motor shield power would be appreciated as this is starting to cost me quiet a bit and I only want to use it for this one project. I was hoping to just use the power supply on board connection but I can cut the power supply end off and wire it into VIn and GND if that is better, or please say where to place it

I'm trying to copy this $250 Auto Zeovit Reactor - YouTube

Please please help me as I so want this to work