Please review my PCB design for Stepper Motor Driver.

Dear All, I have designed PCB for controlling 18 stepper motor using A4988 stepper driver (Purchased from here: https://www.rhydolabz.com/robotics-motor-drivers-c-155_162/stepstick-a4988-stepper-driver-module-p-2318.html ). And in PCB i want all 18 drivers to be mounted on single PCB having ports for connecting to Motor and Arduino. Please review my PCB design link given below:

https://easyeda.com/md.nabeel786/a4988drivermodule

Please review it and let me know what improvement could be made and any problem in PCB design also could this PCB traces handle current of 2 Amps & how do i check it?, so that i can give it for final printing.

If you know that you have it all wired correctly, I would suggest that you try and make your traces a little thicker wherever possible. I would also recommend that you and try to make the traces connecting to the via’s 45 degrees.

Oh, and also I am pretty sure the capacitors are supposed to be directly next to the modules.

r1.PNG

r2.PNG

Ok.. actually i have use auto router tool available on easyEDA will manually correct component location and traces. One more thing i want to add is this PCB can handle the current that stepper motor draw (Each motor will draw 2 Amps of current) and how i could check it?

I couldn't find the whole layout on your link so I'll give some general advice.

1) The low cost prototype houses only provide 1 oz copper. A typical commercial design is 2 oz. I realize that means nothing to you, but the current capability is somewhat low.

Look at this link for more specific recommendations: IPC track width recommendations

2) Your VIAS have lower capacity that the tracks. You should increase the drill size of the VIA and use multiples for higher current traces.

3) I mean no offence but looking at how you placed the capacitors and your questions I would think your component layout needs some attention. If I could see the whole board I could make more suggestions.

Keep in mind, at 2 amps each and 18 drivers you have the potentials for some very high currents. Layouts like these take a lot of component placement planning.

What you want to do here is not a trivial task for the hobbyist.

John