Plugged LCD the wrong way, is it dead now?

Hi guys,

This is my first post, before posting i searched the forum for someone with a similar problem as mine. But didn’t really find a definitive answer, so here goes.

I have (or had) a good working LCD display. For a project, I have a PCB with a header where the LCD is connected to (image 1). The header is numbered like this;

Upper row:1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15
Lower row:2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16

I wasn’t paying that much attention when i connected it, and did it as follow (image 2).
Upper row:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Lower row:10,11,12,13,14,15,16

After doing this I got some sort of squares displayed (image 3).
Then i noticed the wiring was wrong, wired it the correct way and still got the same results.

I then unplugged it from the PCB, and plugged it to a breadboard to test the simple “Hello world” program. But i still get the same blocks as in image 3. Also if i touch the back of the LCD while it’s displaying these blocks, the image fades and comes back.

So now I wonder, did I kill the LCD when i plugged it the wrong way? actually it’s not really dead yet, more like brain dead but still… :confused:

Thanks!

header.PNG

header2.PNG

lcdblocks.PNG

It is likely to be dead, since it was working when correctly connected and now it does not. Electronic chips typically are destroyed when the power is connected the wrong way around. Some board incorporate reverse connection protection, but sadly this does not appear to be true here.