Plugging multiple 3.7V LiPo batteries together (same capacity, same brand)

Hi Guys,

I would like to plug multiple 3.7V LiPo batteries (same capacity, same brand) together, such as here:

You often read that the internal resistances are different and that load balancers should be used but I have not yet found any 'convenient' balancers. Is there something like a standard IC or board commercially available, how would you plug these batteries in parallel?
Thank you!

Where have you often read that load balancers are needed? Lipos are very good at load balancing to the extent that you can even use different capacity cells in parallel without any real problems (and I have done).

But I would never buy a lipo like that with no specified C-rating or maximum current rating.

Steve

Charge balancers are used with batteries in series connections.

I'd recommend you don't do this, LiPo's can and will start fires if you do silly things with them.
If you need a larger pack, get a larger pack, and get one with protection built in. Once you
start building packs yourself you are responsible for the safety critical protection circuit being
suitable and correctly configured.

If you just want to extend capacity you can combine parallel cells using schottky diodes without
having to worry about cross-charging issues, and you can do hot-swap safely with this scheme
too. You lose a fraction of a volt though.

Actually the laptop and notebook battery packs use 6, 8 or 9 cell in a parallel-series mode (3 series of 2 cells in parallel,4 of 2 and 3 of 3, respectively), so it should be reliable.

But... there are many cases of battery packs exploding or getting fire.

The schottky diodes will turn in-circuit charging more complex.