Plz help me need help with vending machine design

Hi guys my name is prajul jain a high school student from west bengal india . i need help with a project i am presently working on. in india vending machines are very very very RARE . i wish to have a startup that manufactures vending machines for general items for snacks , rice , … etc . for which i need to start with a prototype . I know how to make the discharge of items using spiral binding making it rotate using motors etc. but i have issues with the payment system . i wish to have a system based on POS(point of sale) WHERE A PERSON GOES AND CREATES A VEND ACOUNT AND RECHARGES IT ONLINE OR AT OFFLINE SETUPS AND USSES THE ACCOUNT NO. AND PASSWORD TO BUY THINGS FROM THE MACHINE.

The Website is not A PROBLEM AS IT CAN BE DONE BY ENGINEERS WHO MAY HOOK IT UP AND EVRYTHING BUT TO START I NEED A PROTYPE SO THAT I CAN PRESENT IT TO INVESTORS . I PLAN ON MAKING THE PROTOTYPE USING AUDRINO. THE PROTYPE NEEDS TO HAVE

1. Discharge System( not problem
  2. System that deducts the amount from his VEND account and does not discharge if amount is insufficient .( VERY BIG PROBLEM )

MY QUESTIONS

1. IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE THE PROTYPE USING AUDRINO
  2. WHAT WILL I HAVE TO LEARN TO MAKE THE PROTYPE
  3. IS MY IDEA REVELOUTIONARY OR NOT GOOOD

I AM AT THE AGE OF 15 AND NO ONE OF MY AGE HAS SIMILAR ASPIRATIONS FROM ME . IF SOMEONE IS FROM A IIT OR NIIT OF MY STATE MAY CONTACT ME IF YOU WISH TO BE MY PARTNER IN THE PROJECT

NOTE :
I DONT NEED TO HOOK UP THE PAYMENT SYSTEM TO ANYTHING I JUST NEED TO SHOW THAT THE PAYMENT GETS DEDUCTED FROM VEND ACCOUNT

my 2cts

• Yes it’s possible as long as the Arduino has access to the server where you manage credentials and cash balance
  • you need to learn how to make encrypted requests to a web API from an Arduino and how to deal with data entry (keyboard or other form of text entry)
  • typing a login and password is soooo 20th century… today I would expect to just pay with my smartphone or contactless credit card (ePayement). if availability of smartphone is an issue for your target customer base, then login/pwd could be a fall back position (with security risks as it’s easy to look over your shoulder)
1 Like
  1. Yes it is possible but use it for show and tell, not for a real product as it is easily hacked.
  2. Start with the basics and build a few of the tutorial projects that are included with the IDE. Pick projects that will help you with your primary goal.
  3. No it is very common in the US.
  4. I would contact your local money acceptor companies and determine which is the best for you. They may even help you if you explain what you are trying to do.
  5. For the demo why not use two buttons, labeled Payment accepted or Payment denied. That will keep the first pass simple.
    Good Luck and most important have fun!
1 Like

Useful information and good project. I have a small doubt regarding the connecting the arduino boards to the server to send the data. Which arduino board is quite appropriate to use

1 Like

BUT IN ATMS OF INDIA ALSO WE SWIPE CARD ENTER PIN TO WITHDRAW MONEY . THERE ARE NO SECURITY ISSUES AS SUCH here.

Yes - swipe cards or even smart cards with a 4 digit pins to withdraw money is always a risk. Easy to look over the shoulder as well. That’s why banks have small keypads with borders and usually in an enclosed area where your hand is obstructing the view of the keyboard. The frisk exists more when you pay for goods as the payment terminal does not offer such a physical protection.

guys based on your suggestions and my research over the last few hours i made an overview of the project . this doccument has been based on all your answers and suggestions . may check it out also feel free to contribute circuits , code etc. to this design if you are intresed. VENDING MACHINE.docx - Google Drive THIS IS THE LINK IGNORE THE COVER PAGE

All of the financial work is to be done by remote servers.
The arduino reads the card or chip or keypad input.
Sends request to remote server.
Remote server authorzes the payment.
The arduino only needs to get “aproved” signal back.
The local arduino show be very “dumb” for security.
All you need is to team up with some one like paypal

everything will be encrypted and the processing will be done by pc which will be present inside vending machine. audrino will just act as a medium of transfer of info between pc and motors in short audrino will act as a wire between pc and motors.

that’s new !

This is totally useless… the Arduino can place a secure crypted request towards the back end directly, no need for a PC.

if you insist on having the PC, use it as the user interface with a custom program (a web view into your back end for example) and have that program just communicate to the Arduino to drive the actuators. but then it’s a very different project in terms of Arduino code.

No one has said, but there is no need to SHOUT, neither here nor in your presentation document.

Just sayin’.

a7

i contacted a few tech geniuses they insisted on using a pc as it can be easily controlled by the server, prices can be changed, bugs resolved also stock can be kept track off . ALSO audrino boards crash easily and are very frustating acording to them . if we use a low end pc with just cpu no monitor or other peripherals to coordinate between the audrino board and the server it will add just 100 dollars to the manufacturing but will make things must simpler and has more processing power so at places a single pc and audrino board can control multiple modules of vending machines . you understand what i mean. lastly incase someone is trying to break into the machine if we use a pc we can be notified . and we may take help of nearest police station. my cousin who is now in one of the top colleges in india sat with his freinds and me discussing for long 3 hours about all this .
I PLAN ON TAKING THIS TO SCIENCE EXIBITIONS AND GET THIS PATENTED AS SOON AS THE PROTYPE IS READY. THE PROTOTYPE WILL TAKE UPTO 1.5 YRS OF RND AFTER WHICH THIS WILL BE PERFECT . BY THEN I WILL BE IN THE FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE AND THE COLLEGE CAN PROVIDE ME WITH FUNDING

What about this is remotely patentable?

Your idea is so obvious it would be the kind of thing a kid in high school would come up with thinking he’s gonna be the next Jeff Bozos.

Oh, wait… never mind.

YOU STILL SHOUTING. Pipe down. Shouting doesn’t make your idea any better.

a7

Alto777 you made no helpful reply to this post two comments were made both of them in no way solves my problem. Secondly i am not trying to be the next jeff bezos just trying to solve a problem. i wish to bring vending machines in india. the most available designs of vending machines that work in the us or japan cant work in india due to diverse denomiantions of india 5,10,20,50,100,200,500,1000,2000 no system can handle all this moreover whats the problem of me being a high school student .

Lastly i heard something like this phrase “high school student” when i went to the state science fair in 2019 when i was just 12 yrs old and i came out winning the exhibition in front of all grown ups . never mind i am here to just discuss things about my design and open to changes . i am open to acceptance and will be grateful if you find a flaw or a logical argument to the design. other than “HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT”. Also i would like your attitude to be helping others and not …

@prajul2005 you are absolutely correct and I apologize.

Whatever it is, even if the vending machine idea isn’t it, I have no doubt that you will set the world on fire!

I wish you only success!

I have flogged myself with a damp trout as is required in these circumstances.

a7

you contacted PC experts that have no clue about arduino probably… if you wanted a full multitasking OS in the machine I would suggest Linux, there are embedded versions in various shapes or forms.

but I suggest you keep working with those experts since you don’t know really what you are doing, having local help is going to be key.

PS: CAPITAL letters is considered SHOUTING on the internet. We don’t need this.

I suggest doing a patent search in your spare time. I just entered “patents vending machine money acceptor” in google and got 741,000 hits. Check this one it will prove interesting: EP0796479A1 - Credit and debit card operated vending machine - Google Patents

They have worked on a few audrino projects themselves and audrino was taught to them as a subject in college so they must have enough idea about this . They said that the transfer of data to the server using audrino will be much complex OTP systems and everythting will be very easy incase of pc. i presented them the arguement of using audrino as i myself wanted to use audrino and had no idea about using PC for the job. They told me that audrino used to burn down many times due to glitches or overheating. they showed me aricles that audrino has data leaks in case of being powered 24/7 and glitches out which can cause havocs . also audrino is less secure.

I HAVE ENOUGH IDEA AND AM GOING THROUGH WAYS TO MAEK THINGS RUN

go for it (and keep shouting.)