Pneumatic suggestions

I'm working on a project where I want to release a specific volume of air based on a scanned barcode.

I will have an air compressor with a regulator that will maintain a fixed pressure.

I am looking for recommendations on:

• Electronic solenoid valve that can actuate on command from Arduino
  • Arduino board that can handle up to 60 solenoids
  • Barcode scanner that interfaces with Arduino
  • Database that can handle @5000 records on a single table (barcode value, solenoid 1 run time, solenoid 2 run time, etc.)

Probably need to supply a lot more information but hope that's enough to start on. Thanks!

60 valves... That's a lot but there are solutions like shift registers. There is also the technic of multiplexing I/O.
1 output can select 1 - 30,or 31 to 60,and so on.
8 by 8 handles 64 items.

Provide some more info about how You want to operate those air puffers. One at the time or any combination at any time?

javamania:
I'm working on a project where I want to release a specific volume of air based on a scanned barcode.

I will have an air compressor with a regulator that will maintain a fixed pressure.

I am looking for recommendations on:

• Electronic solenoid valve that can actuate on command from Arduino
  • Arduino board that can handle up to 60 solenoids
  • Barcode scanner that interfaces with Arduino
  • Database that can handle @5000 records on a single table (barcode value, solenoid 1 run time, solenoid 2 run time, etc.)

Probably need to supply a lot more information but hope that's enough to start on. Thanks!

An Arduino or any other controller can only open a valve for a certain length of time. It cannot measure volume, particularly if it is released into the air.
Paul

I was thinking sequentially. Out of the 60, only 1 to 3 will need to be triggered on each bar code scan event.

Paul_KD7HB:
An Arduino or any other controller can only open a valve for a certain length of time. It cannot measure volume, particularly if it is released into the air.
Paul

Agreed, only looking to control the length of time each solenoid is open.

You wrote "I will have an air compressor with a regulator that will maintain a fixed pressure. ". I have had lots of different air compressors and have had regulated air piped all over my factory.
Please tell us how you are able to maintain a fixed pressure when you are releasing air with your solenoid valves and replacing it with a compressor. I don't think you really have a fixed pressure, you have a setting on a regulator that tries to maintain the pressure.
How does the recovery time for the air compressor compare with the maximum air that you will be releasing?
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
You wrote "I will have an air compressor with a regulator that will maintain a fixed pressure. ". I have had lots of different air compressors and have had regulated air piped all over my factory.
Please tell us how you are able to maintain a fixed pressure when you are releasing air with your solenoid valves and replacing it with a compressor. I don’t think you really have a fixed pressure, you have a setting on a regulator that tries to maintain the pressure.
How does the recovery time for the air compressor compare with the maximum air that you will be releasing?
Paul

That’s not the problem I’m trying to solve here. I gave it as simplified context for the problem I am trying to solve. I’d be happy to share the details in another thread, just didn’t want to bury what I was going for.

javamania:
That's not the problem I'm trying to solve here. I gave it as simplified context for the problem I am trying to solve. I'd be happy to share the details in another thread, just didn't want to bury what I was going for.

Got it. I was trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.
The project, then, is to be able to open and close a solenoid at a specific time and for a specific length of time. Just pick appropriate solenoid valves and design the controlling circuitry that can be controlled by your Arduino. And then pick the appropriate power supplies and do the wiring. Seems pretty easy to do.
Air or water whatever is of no concern for the project.
As such solenoids have been around for 100 years, there should be no problem in picking one.
Paul

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.