Point me in a direction and I'll try not to get lost.

Hello forum folk,

I am new to Arduinos but have a little electronic repair & kit building experience. I got an idea for a project in which I am hoping the Arduino will play a major part, but I don't know for sure. If I outline the basic idea, I was hoping someone(s) would point me in a direction, including the door if I'm barking up the wrong electronic tree.

I have daydreamed of a controllable, semi-automatic directional audio frequency blaster that will detect the direction from which my neighbor's noisy dog is barking, turn on the irritating (to dogs) frequency and pulse it at him until he decides to go far enough away from it to get out of hearing range (not likely, but he might quit). I live in a very rural area and don't have to worry about bothering other dogs in the area.

I have most, or all, of the hardware I need, many electronic components, and I think Arduinos will be useful in my effort. ;)

billstyler: Hello forum folk,

I am new to Arduinos but have a little electronic repair & kit building experience. I got an idea for a project in which I am hoping the Arduino will play a major part, but I don't know for sure. If I outline the basic idea, I was hoping someone(s) would point me in a direction, including the door if I'm barking up the wrong electronic tree.

I have daydreamed of a controllable, semi-automatic directional audio frequency blaster that will detect the direction from which my neighbor's noisy dog is barking, turn on the irritating (to dogs) frequency and pulse it at him until he decides to go far enough away from it to get out of hearing range (not likely, but he might quit). I live in a very rural area and don't have to worry about bothering other dogs in the area.

I have most, or all, of the hardware I need, many electronic components, and I think Arduinos will be useful in my effort. ;)

Well in my experience doing a noise like that will just make your neighbors dog bark more. (they hate the high pitched noise that comes from the transformers on the pole near my house) I'm wondering though. SO what your going to have 2 microphones (maybe 3) picking up the sound, then based on the time between when 1 mic picks up the sound up and the others, use that to calculate the direction of the dog. Then aim a speaker with an annoying high pitched noise in the direction of the dog and blast them?

Its probably not that difficult for the math and all, but how would you differentiate between the dog barking and other noises? (though I'm pretty sure there are ways to do that, I don't know)

If someone can tell you how to work it out, gimme a link to the code. I might be able to use it in airsoft (pickup sounds with a few mics known distances apart, very sensitive mics. And use them to calculate the direction of people shooting or shouting far away, or trying to be quite moving nearby)

how large is the area you want to cover? What is the distance to the dog? If you neighbours wife start singing in the garden will she "get a blast" too (I mean how do you recognize a bark)

BTW, I like the Idunno Logo, is it copyrighted? or copyleft or cc ?

Wow, nice that replies started right away, thanks!

Nikarus -

Dogs (canines of any sort) will be the only ones to hear the frequency. It will be one which does drive them away, not make them bark more.

I was thinking 2 directional microphones would give enough information to locate the dog, although he is almost always in the same spot, so i'd be homing it on that area. It occurred to me that it would be similar to two photocells on a solar panel tracking sunlight and a motor rotating until they equalize.

Dog barking differentiation - I hope I can filter input to the rough frequency range and volume of the dog. Since nobody else will hear it, I won't worry about other similar noises triggering it.

robtillaart -

The area from where the dog barks is about 300 yards away covering about 100 yards in parallel with my property. I figure I'll have to spend time tuning and filtering, but I intend to use a decibel meter to get some information first.

I hadn't thought about the wife singing in her garden. Maybe I can make a subliminal sound for humans too. ]:D Not a problem, though, as her garden is over a half mile away.

The IDUNNO logo is copyrighted. It is, however, offered for public consumption since I think it applies to a lot of situations and people. :)

You both have really got my thinking started and in a good direction. Thank you, very much.

I purchased one of these http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006736

Batteries didn't last very long though.

Found a small squirt of pepper spray in the area ( not directly at the dog ) had a much better effect. 3 nights and the problem was solved.

Found a small squirt of pepper spray in the area ( not directly at the dog )

Why not?

AWOL:

Found a small squirt of pepper spray in the area ( not directly at the dog )

Why not?

Not familiar with launching pepper spray five hundred yards. Good thought, though. Certainly effective.

@AWOL

because I wouldn't like the animal to suffer.

if it pissed me off enough, I may just shoot it, but then it wouldn't suffer either.

Not familiar with launching pepper spray five hundred yards.

A small mortar?

DaveO: I purchased one of these http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006736

Batteries didn't last very long though.

Found a small squirt of pepper spray in the area ( not directly at the dog ) had a much better effect. 3 nights and the problem was solved.

I got a schematic for a similar device and will be trying it out. It will be powered with an AC adapter.

AWOL:

Not familiar with launching pepper spray five hundred yards.

A small mortar?

Right, not too big, though. Could be messy.