Point of load vs front end converter

Good morning all! I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have been scouring the internet but can't find a simple list of advantages... What are the advantages of converting voltages at their point of load as opposed to converting all voltages at one single point of a power system? When should I need take this into consideration when designing a power system? Cheers,

Sounds like a homework question

Maybe none, maybe better immunity from interference between parts of the system, maybe lower cost as a result of lower current in the distribution (high voltage distribution lines in the ac mains power system).

You need to be more specific. What sort of system are you considering?

Russell.

In low voltage systems it means you don't have to worry about IR drops in the wiring, and you get better regulation at the point of load since the full bandwidth of the feedback loop in the regulator is acting on the circuit, rather than on a decoupling capacitor on a power supply board somewhere else in the system.

Its also defence in depth - the input voltage to each board can handle overvoltage spikes since the regulator on the board can.