pololu motors controlled with rover 5 motordriver

I need to be able to control four motors using a motor driver. I don't know how to use the motor driver, but have used the motors before. Instead of using a motor driver H-bridges where used instead. I also know how to code using the arduino and I am using the arduino mega 2560.

Here is a link to the motors and motor driver that I am using.

If any more information is needed I can provided, just let me know.

I don't know how to use the motor driver

Did you follow the Documents link from that Sparkfun page? There seems to be both a manual and a library.

EDIT.... And in any case it looks simple enough even from first principles, seeing as it's just 4 h-bridges anyway. Put motor volts in bottom right, and 5v logic top right. Connect the motors to the 4 outputs. Then for each motor channel, put high or low from an Arduino digitalWrite on the direction pin of the board, and PWM from an Arduino analogWrite onto the speed pin.

I did not see the github link. I am currently reading that right now. I have just started this project to be honest, so I don't have much to offer mostly wanted some people to explain or bounce I deals off of. I do understand how the motor driver works, what I will need help with is how to use the motor diver.

I imagine the library will take care of using the encoders.

The motor driver you refer to is made up from H bridges as are most of the driver cards including the Arduino one.

Mark

From what I have read, I can treat the driver as a function? Or would it be better to think of of it as another microcontroller?

I have read the files on the github and I am in the process of modifying my original code to include the driver. Will post code once I modified the code.

From what I have read, I can treat the driver as a function? Or would it be better to think of of it as another microcontroller?

I’d say, neither 8)

It’s not a function, since a function is a software thing. I’d guess there are functions in the library, perhaps to give any of the four motors a direction and speed like (just making this up) moveMotor(motorNumber, direction, speed) say.

And it’s not a microcontroller since it’s a bunch of fets making up some bridges, with no microcontroller on there. It’s just a lot of transistors being switched according to the direction line and pwm speed input.