Pololu step motor with L298N driver

Hallo, I have a project that i must control the speed of step motor with one potentiometer. My step motor is http://www.pololu.com/product/1477/resources And my driver http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Driver-2A-Dual-L298-H-Bridge-/181011790512

Can I reach the max speed with 9V (600mA current) alkaline battery (DC power supply on driver) or I need more power? without burn my step motor. Because every time I increase the speed, my step motor stuck.

I control those parts with arduino mega.

You really need a proper stepper motor driver such as the Pololu A4988. It will allow you to drive the motor with a much higher voltage which is essential if you want high speed. The Pololu A4988 webpage has a lot of useful information.

The L298 is intended for controlling regular DC motors. Stepper motors are very different and, in my opinion, using an L298 is just a bodge.

In any case you say your power supply can only provide 0.6amps yet your motor needs 1.0 amps - so what do you think will happen? Stepper motors draw their full current all the time, even when stationary.

The voltage figures for stepper motors are largely irrelevant. What matters is that your stepper driver should not allow more than the maximum current. Unlike the A4988, the L298 has no means for limiting the current. A high voltage is necessary to get a stepper motor to move fast as it forces the current up to the maximim as quickly as possible. The stepper driver board then prevents the current from rising above the preset maximum.

...R

Which battery are you proposing? Most 9V batteries aren’t up to the task. A large
lantern-type battery (size PP9 or above) is the minimum I’d expect to handle this level
of current.

Seriously consider using rechargable batteries for any motor drive application, its
economic sense.

I’d also ask why you have chosen this size of stepper motor? How fast are you expecting
to spin it?

Because every time I increase the speed, my step motor stuck.

Please don't tell me you're trying to drive a motor with a PP3 9V smoke-alarm battery.

For batteries I would suggest goto the Hobbyking website and look out for some maybe the Turnigy batteries or similar rc toys batteries, What I noted in these batteries was they can be very cheap and good quality + high capacity.

I watched an episode on the same topic done by "Dave Jones"

or similar rc toys batteries,

I feel it is a misnomer to call these "toys" as they are in fact "hobby" batteries, not to mention I spent thousands of dollars on such equipment in the last ten years and I never had any toys that expensive when I was little. It just doesn't seem right to call them toy batteries when they can burst into flames and burn down your house if you charge them with the equipment that isn't specifically designed for Lipo batteries. In general I have never seen any cases of the batteries igniting during use unless they were subjected to extreme loading, (high current motor on full power for extended period of time).

feel it is a misnomer to call these "toys" as they are in fact "hobby" batteries

I didn't term your hobby king batteries toys like I said "Turnigy batteries or similar rc toys batteries" OR similar rc toys batteris and yes all the rc toys aren't that costly these days, want to have a look? go land on DX these 50$ crap drones have that sort of toy like batteries in them only nothing special.

NI$HANT: similar rc toys batteries[/i]" OR similar rc toys batteris

I read this as meaning batteries for RC toys rather than toy batteries for RC [equipment].

...R

I read this as meaning batteries for RC toys rather than toy batteries for RC [equipment].

Yes, I got that . I just thought "hobby batteries " was a better description but I suppose you could call a Ferrari a toy if you wanted to. My point was that "toys" is a term used to describe things you give children, which for obvious reasons are supposed to be safe. They were when they were using Nicad batteries but the RC "toys" they sell at Radioshack and Target probably have lipo batteries now. I guess it is just a matter of semantics. The $50 crap drones probably deserve to be called toys , if you use their construction as any indicator. I don't think there is any scale or standard by which you can draw the line between a "toy" and "hobbyist equipment." so there can be no resolution to this discussion. I think "toy" is a term you should reserve for something you can give your child without worrying about him burning your house down. That's just my personal preference. Obviously , others would use the term indiscriminately.

Well don't stretch this piece of talk, it's already clarified maybe just stick to answering the op's problem.

I don't think there is any scale or standard by which you can draw the line between a "toy" and "hobbyist equipment." so there can be no resolution to this discussion.

At this time op isn't stressing it over to get something of a standard (op's original post doesn't seem to infer any std.)he's just trying to get things working maybe after he get's the preliminary work done then you can suggest him the standards to follow but first things first let's get him working on.

:)

Agreed. The first order of business is getting the OP to abandon any plans to use a smoke alarm battery to drive a motor.
A 2S Lipo (8.4 V charged) should work fine.