Polymer Recycler

is it preferable to solder on a male header and use crimp connectors? I’m making a shield that will be bolted on top of the Arduino, will use jumper wires to bring the pins up to certain positions on the shield for bigger connections, like a 26 way ribbon for the GLCD and buttons that go next to it. I can’t directly stack because not all the pins are in the place that Ineed them on the Arduino. So, any recommendations for attaching a stranded core, or single core, jumper from the female header socket of the Arduino to the underside of stripboard?

As for industrial strength, I think it’s accepted by my tutors that this particular iteration is only a proto-type, full production model would feature a custom designed arduino that had all the headers in the right place.

For ease of purchase, will this do: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6961683&cm_vc=prev_uk#header

Ths thing is, it seems that after I've plugged a wire into the broken out female socket I will still have to solder it directly to the protoboard in the centre? It does look like a very attractive solution, now to work out if all the necessary headers will fit on.

The one I linked looks like it breaks out the pins at the top and bottom of the board into the middle, which is handy, just solder a jumper in to get it where I need it. However the double row on the right seems untouched, that's a shame since that's where the GLCD and all its pins are!

i'm back! haha!

ok so bits are being ordered and it's coming down to actually making it work.

One query about power supply to Arduino. Plugging 9V 2A into the jack barrel. Does arduino source the it's ground from there automatically?

The main area of concern is the Darlington Transistor Array interfacing several 12V Apps. The ground for these circuits should pass back through the arduino? I'm just curious as to how this happens or where it goes?

Also is current disipated in the component it powers? So the 12V 100mA Fan sucks the current out so that nothing much passes through to ground?

I think these are more general interest questions than problems...?

Thanks very much

Thanks for the very detailed response, clears a lot of things up. I understand what I have to acheive with the wiring of the circuit, but not how to do this physically.

I am using the ULN2003AN ( http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4368451 )

This particular version of the IC is developed especially for TTL and has internal 220R Resistors on the input lines.

So I can’t picture how it all actually gets connected. I’ve attached an extract from the datasheet for the component (full version available here http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0125/0900766b80125965.pdf )

I have traced over it in yellow the path that it seems the high current path should take?
However, I have been told that for inductive loads, the common pin (16) should be connected to the supply voltage, I don’t see where it ever goes to GND, either in the Arduino or the High Power Supply?
I was going to connect leg 8, called E, to Arduino ground? But the schematics don’t even show it connected to anything? And I can’t figure out what it does?

Hmmm seems that I’m a bit further off soldering my ‘12V Driver Board’ than I thought, thanks so much for your input!

Darlington Transistor Schematic With Trace.PNG

Hey again.

Further to above, I am simply unsure about what to connect to what. It’s the bottom two pins of the above image that I am concerned about. It seems that the Common Pin (bottom right) should be connected to the supply +12V and the E pin (bottom left) should be connected to the ground of the 12V power supply?

If anyone could clear that up for me it would be great, I’m a little stuck with that.

Also, I have started to play with the Line Sensor (Parallax TSL 1401-DB) that was discussed earlier in this thread. I can’t figure out which pin I should connect the power supply to, there is Vdd and +5V to chose from on the back of the brake out board. I’m good with the others (Serial In, CLK and Analogue Out) I’ve attached a screen shot of the schematic, but I can’t read them very well… :frowning:

I’m starting to get stuck into this project now, and it is very large, help with the little things really reassures me that I can do it, sorry to bother you all though,

Thanks,

Sensor Schematic.PNG

Brilliant, you honestly save my life (and deserve your name on my project) time and time again.

I was worried that connecting Arduino’s GND pin (i believe that to be the one on the POWER bus by the RESET PIN?) would cause the current from the transistors to flow back into the Arduino, in fact they will just ‘share’ the route to Ground? So all input measurements will be measured with reference to that Ground? And the Ground that comes into the barrel jack is not used by the Arduino for signalling?

The place where I saw the bottom right pin connected to the supply voltage for inductive loads was in the same datasheet,I’ve attached a screen grab.

As far as the Parallax Sensor goes there are two documents:

Parallax’s User Guide: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/acc/TSL1401-DB_manual.pdf
of which the closest I can get is Top of Page 5 but it’s unlcear

and the actual chip under the lense is linked out from the above guide (link broken actually) so i’ve found and attached too.

That datasheet only uses a Vdd as an input, I was just wondering if that was the same Vdd as the back of the brake out board, because there is also a +5V on the back of the board. It’s just confusing because there’s 11 pins on the board and only 5 legs of the 8 leg DIP actually used?

Wish things were simpler, but then I do love to learn!

Also the bloody thing has 2mm pitch header on the back. I’ve found the 12 Way Crimp Connector that slots in, and got hold of the right size crimps as well, it’s just very hard to crimp the tiny things with a pair of pliers! haha!

Cheers.

With Pin 9 Connected.PNG

TSL1401 Datasheet.pdf (133 KB)

A bit more digging and: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?117941-RedEye-A-linescan-imager-based-BOE-Bot-line-follower

Seems that the +5V pin on the board is for powering peripherals like the LEDs on the front of that buggy. I may feed it 5V just to be safe...

Yes I think I may have got there with powering the sensor. I was doing the typical 'eyes wider than stomach' routine with a new toy and havn't written any code for it yet, so I can't be sure i've got it right until (more than likely) I know I've got it wrong, haha.

Ok a snubber diode. Brilliant, will look into that, and ofcourse will take your advice and connect them directly across inductive loads.

As long as Arduino Pins are only connected to things intended for signals, and isolated from the load (i.e the IC Transistor and the Pololu Motor Driver discussed a while back) then there should (will) not be any large currents in the Arduino therefore keeping it safe from being frazzled!

Brilliant.

I will see if I can get some Photodetector Code knocked up over the next few days, though I might document that bit rather in detail, can anyone add to the playground?

Thanks for your input