Pool Alarm Frankenstein

Last Summer I started on a pool alarm project that has grown into something else. The initial idea was a floating sphere with an acelerometer to measure wave/ripples. PIRs(HC-SR501) were added, the accelerometer ditched (to hard for me). The Rf transmitter is replaced with a ESP8266. IR led transmitters and temperature sensor added. Using a Nano and 3 x

My plan is to use MIT app inventor to build an app to:

1 Emulate IR remote controls on smart phone (send/receive data via internet/wifi, transmit IR signal) 2 send temp/motion data to phone app

1. Trigger Iot devices

Apparently the 8266 uses more than the nano can supply 3.3v, the PIR's need 12v and 5v for the nano itself, I am going to 2 x 9v bats in series for an 18v rail to supply 3 x LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converters 12/5/3.3 (less than $2 ea)

PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE'S A BETTER WAY

I am thinking the phone app should hold the IR codes and send to arduino via wifi then transmit corresponding IR codes to devices. The unit should send temp/movement etc data to phone and trigger appropriate responses

My questions are

can a nano do all that? has it already been done? should I add anything else ( if I can) any pointers to relevant stuff would be great

Thanks Jonathan

some pics

If you are using the PIR sensors to detect people, they need to be stationary otherwise they will falsely trigger every time a wave pases. They will also be swamped by the IR in sunlight if this is used outdoors.

The initial idea was a floating sphere with an acelerometer to measure wave/ripples. PIRs(HC-SR501) were added, the accelerometer ditched (to hard for me).

An accelerometer or some kind of motion detector is probably the best way to go. (I've never used an accelerometer and I have no idea if they are sensitive enough.) Usually the best place to start is by finding out how "everybody else" is doing it. Maybe you can find out how commercial pool monitors work. Maybe you've got a better idea, but you won't know that unless you know how it's normally done.

A million years ago my 1st car alarm had a motion sensor that was basically a soft leaf-spring with a weight on it. When it was moved, the spring "bounced-around" and touched a contact. I suggest you look-around to see what you can find.

At the time, I was "mentally inventing" something similar to a bell. My idea was that a static tilt (say, the car parked on a slope) wouldn't affect it because the "bell" and "clapper" would hang straight together. But when disturbed, the clapper and bell would make contact. Of course, it would have a smaller space/gap than real bell so slight movement would cause contact, and it was only imagined... I never built it.

1 Emulate IR remote controls on smart phone (send/receive data via internet/wifi, transmit IR signal)

I don't get that. What's the IR for? Why not go Wi-Fi all the way?

And, a pool monitor shouldn't need long-distance communication. It's useless of you are not nearby. ;)

Last Summer I started on a pool alarm project that has grown into something else.

Don't "grow" your project too much before you get started and get something simple working!

none of my household devices(tv dvd A/C etc) use wifi as they are all pre IoT with IR remote controls, My phone doesnt have IR, you can get a plug in IR unit for iphones but I cant find one for androids