Port connection issue

When IDE comes up on my Macbook, I am unable to select any port under "TOOLS" that will connect to the UNO board. There are 4 selections listed, bluetooth ports, modem ports, etc. I don't see anything that hints at being an Arduino. I've tried all the ports listed, but none will complete an upload. Error messages say the port is in use or some element is not responding. I've re-installed the FDTI driver with no effect. I'm running OS 10.6.2 on the Mac. I know the cable and UNO are OK, they work fine on my Windows laptop. Any suggestions? Thanks,,,

Here's how you can determine which port is your Arduino:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

If no new port appears when you do that, then there is a problem.

dimsdale:
I've re-installed the FDTI driver with no effect.

I've never seen an Uno with an FTDI chip on it. Most likely it's either an ATmega16U2 (like on the official Arduino Uno), or the CH340 (like on the Chinese derivative boards). If there is no FTDI chip on your Uno, installing an FTDI driver is just a waste of time.

Yes, that is the problem. There are 4 ports listed with Arduino unplugged and the same 4 ports with it plugged in. Seems like its not recognizing the device. Now what? Bad USB port? It knows when other objects are plugged in, mouse, flash drive, etc.

Make sure the USB cable is fully inserted into the jack on the Uno and the computer.

I seem to have another problem similar to this. It seems the COM loses connection quite frequently, and then the program needs to be closed out, the USB adapter unplugged and then reinserted into USB port and then reopen Arduino. Any thoughts on this? I do not believe the USB port is going bad.

You shouldn’t need to use a USB adapter with your Uno, can you describe exactly what your setup?

We are using the Arduino chip / Software as a way to determine our burn table arc time for shop efficiency and utilization.

We have the hardware attached to our Thermal Dynamics Burn Table power source, which is then sending a signal to a reset switch and then connected a USB adapter and then plugged into the USB port on the computer. The Arduino software has been programmed to give data of arc on / arc off with a counter and date and time.

I just know, that the connection seems to be intermittent. At some point it loses connection or doesn't recognize the COM. If I could send pictures, I could explain it better.

The board we are using is the Arduino Mega 2560.

Bear with me, I am trying to do my best to explain our situation. It works, just for some reason it stops working, randomly. Not sure what is going on.

Thank you for your response, though.

Legassie

Correction Chip is a Arduino Mega prototype Shield V3

Hi KLegassie, I got your PM the other day. We try to keeps things here on the forums so that other people can see it if they have a similar in the future. I'm happy to try and help though.

Let's start with some basics. From some quick googling it looks like a burn table is the bed for a plasma cutter. I'm guessing that the arc timer measures how long the arc timer runs for.

KLegassie:
We have the hardware attached to our Thermal Dynamics Burn Table power source, which is then sending a signal to a reset switch and then connected a USB adapter and then plugged into the USB port on the computer. The Arduino software has been programmed to give data of arc on / arc off with a counter and date and time.

Let me ask some clarifying questions here, because your description is a bit unclear and I'm not familiar with the hardware you're using.

KLegassie:
We have the hardware attached to our Thermal Dynamics Burn Table power source

Is 'the hardware' the Arduino board that you're using? How exactly is it connected to the power source? Is the power source only powering the Arduino, or is it sending the Arduino a signal when the arc turns on and off so that the Arduino can keep track of how long the arc is on for?

KLegassie:
which is then sending a signal to a reset switch

Is this the emergency reset switch for the plasma cutter? Is the Arduino sending a signal to the reset switch (ie to turn the cutter off) or is the Arduino reading the state of the reset switch so that it knows when the switch is activated?

KLegassie:
and then connected a USB adapter and then plugged into the USB port on the computer.

The Arduino Mega has an onboard USB-Serial adapter. Is there are reason that you're using a separate USB-Serial adapter to connect it to the computer? Which adapter are you using? How have you connected it to the Arduino?

KLegassie:
The Arduino software has been programmed to give data of arc on / arc off with a counter and date and time.

Can you share a link to the program that you've loaded on the Arduino? I'm guessing that there's some sort of display or logging program on the computer?

KLegassie:
I just know, that the connection seems to be intermittent. At some point it loses connection or doesn't recognize the COM.

Is the USB cable plugged straight into the computer, or does it go through a USB hub? That could maybe be causing a problem. If you have access to the source code for the computer program and the firmware on the Arduino it should be possible to make it more tolerant of connection interruptions.

KLegassie:
If I could send pictures, I could explain it better.

Here is a handy guide to putting pictures into your posts. Having some pictures would be really helpful here.