Port Grayed Out In IDE

Good Afternoon All,

I am having a lot of trouble installing my Uno on my computer that has Windows 10. I have searched the forums and read the trouble shooting guide, but nothing has seemed to help me. When I open up the Arduino software and go to select the serial port, the port option is grayed out (picture attached). Things I have tried:

-Opening device manager and browsing for the drive in the program folder (picture attached)
-Disabling Driver signature enforcement and then trying to install the driver
-Reinstalling the software
-Plugging the Arduino into a different USB port.
-Restarting my computer

When I go to device properties it says that there is no driver installed for this device. I am really at a loss for what to do next. I am new to this type of stuff as well.

Thank you for any help.

DeviceProperties.png

Is it new? Is the pin 13 led flashing?

(deleted)

Do you mean that I should return the arduino?

Is there anyway to load the firmware?

josephjp:
Is it new? Is the pin 13 led flashing?

The Arduino is new. When it is plugged into the laptop the power LED and communication LED (I believe that's its purpose, The LED next to pin13) stay on, not flashing

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue, I noticed this behavior since one week ago, which may mean that it's due to some Win 10 update.
It happened to me with an "old" board, that it's not detected anymore; then I tried two brand new ones, I could upload the very first sketch but then as soon as I plug the board to the circuit the PC would not recognize it anymore. Now the port optionis greyed out in IDe and in the pc device manager too.

I'm not that skilled in informatics or electronics, so I started thinking that could be some sort of virus affecting serial ports or ... I don't even know.

Thanx for the help.
Giacomo

iosonogek:
so I started thinking that could be some sort of virus affecting serial ports or

It’s not a virus.

Unless your Arduino is exactly the same one as the OP’s, start a new thread.

(deleted)

All,

My problem turned out to indeed be a bad board. Bought a new board, plugged it in and it worked instantly.

Thank you all for the help.