Port manipulation with HID and neopixel, ATtiny85

Hello,

I think I’m going crazy pretty soon…

I manage to get my neopixel project running perfectly, also my HID project with an encoder as volume knob. All with a Trinket 5v. Now I want to merge these projects and I can’t seem to get the ports right, what am I missing? I’m trying with port manipulation but the neopixel project seem to use some global output setting on all pins?

The code looks like shit right now so bare with me, but hopefully you can say something about how I should go further.

I tend to get a short blink on the first neopixel with this code. And I understand that I need to define my I/O for PORTB and DDRB. But how ever I do I don’t get it to work. What am I missing? I’ve been trying to use stuff like DDRB = 0b00000001; and so on.

I like the approach I’ve done within setup, and I’m trying to convert the old neopixel definitions in the same way. But the sendBit void gets in the way somehow. Here are some code snippets, hope they are relevant.

Defenitions and sendBit void:

#include <avr/io.h>

#include "TrinketHidCombo.h"  

#define neopixel PB0
#define encoderPinA PB3
#define encoderPinB PB2
#define encoderButton PB1 // active low since it shares build in LED, acts as a pull-down resistor

#define LATCHSTATE PB4 //originally just 3, is this for a pin or something else?
int buttonState = HIGH, lastButtonState = HIGH;
long lastDebounceTime = 0, debounceDelay = 50;
int _position = 0, _positionExt = 0;
int8_t _oldState;

const int8_t encoderStates[] = {
  0, -1, 1, 0,
  1, 0, 0, -1,
  -1, 0, 0, 1,
  0, 1, -1, 0
};

// Change this to be at least as long as your pixel string (too long will work fine, just be a little slower)
#define PIXELS 16  // Number of pixels in the string

#define PIXEL_PORT  PORTB  // Port of the pin the pixels are connected to
#define PIXEL_DDR   DDRB // Port of the pin the pixels are connected to
#define PIXEL_BIT   neopixel   // Bit of the pin the pixels are connected to

// These are the timing constraints taken mostly from the WS2812 datasheets 
// These are chosen to be conservative and avoid problems rather than for maximum throughput 

#define T1H  900    // Width of a 1 bit in ns
#define T1L  600    // Width of a 1 bit in ns

#define T0H  400    // Width of a 0 bit in ns
#define T0L  900    // Width of a 0 bit in ns

// The reset gap can be 6000 ns, but depending on the LED strip it may have to be increased
// to values like 600000 ns. If it is too small, the pixels will show nothing most of the time.
#define RES 6000    // Width of the low gap between bits to cause a frame to latch

// Here are some convience defines for using nanoseconds specs to generate actual CPU delays

#define NS_PER_SEC (1000000000L)          // Note that this has to be SIGNED since we want to be able to check for negative values of derivatives

#define CYCLES_PER_SEC (F_CPU)

#define NS_PER_CYCLE ( NS_PER_SEC / CYCLES_PER_SEC )

#define NS_TO_CYCLES(n) ( (n) / NS_PER_CYCLE )

// Actually send a bit to the string. We must to drop to asm to enusre that the complier does
// not reorder things and make it so the delay happens in the wrong place.

inline void sendBit( bool bitVal ) {

if (  bitVal ) {        // 0 bit

asm volatile (
      "sbi %[port], %[bit] \n\t"        // Set the output bit
      ".rept %[onCycles] \n\t"                                // Execute NOPs to delay exactly the specified number of cycles
      "nop \n\t"
      ".endr \n\t"
      "cbi %[port], %[bit] \n\t"                              // Clear the output bit
      ".rept %[offCycles] \n\t"                               // Execute NOPs to delay exactly the specified number of cycles
      "nop \n\t"
      ".endr \n\t"
      ::
      [port]    "I" (_SFR_IO_ADDR(PIXEL_PORT)),
      [bit]   "I" (PIXEL_BIT),
      [onCycles]  "I" (NS_TO_CYCLES(T1H) - 2),    // 1-bit width less overhead  for the actual bit setting, note that this delay could be longer and everything would still work
      [offCycles]   "I" (NS_TO_CYCLES(T1L) - 2)     // Minimum interbit delay. Note that we probably don't need this at all since the loop overhead will be enough, but here for correctness

);

} else {          // 1 bit

// **************************************************************************
    // This line is really the only tight goldilocks timing in the whole program!
    // **************************************************************************

asm volatile (
      "sbi %[port], %[bit] \n\t"        // Set the output bit
      ".rept %[onCycles] \n\t"        // Now timing actually matters. The 0-bit must be long enough to be detected but not too long or it will be a 1-bit
      "nop \n\t"                                              // Execute NOPs to delay exactly the specified number of cycles
      ".endr \n\t"
      "cbi %[port], %[bit] \n\t"                              // Clear the output bit
      ".rept %[offCycles] \n\t"                               // Execute NOPs to delay exactly the specified number of cycles
      "nop \n\t"
      ".endr \n\t"
      ::
      [port]    "I" (_SFR_IO_ADDR(PIXEL_PORT)),
      [bit]   "I" (PIXEL_BIT),
      [onCycles]  "I" (NS_TO_CYCLES(T0H) - 2),
      [offCycles] "I" (NS_TO_CYCLES(T0L) - 2)

);

}

}

Setup:

void setup() {

// bitSet( PIXEL_DDR , PIXEL_BIT ); //BitSet (writes a 1 to) a bit of a numeric variable. 

DDRB |= (1 << neopixel); //replaces pinMode(PB0, OUTPUT);
  DDRB &= ~(1 << encoderPinA); //replaces pinMode(PB3, INPUT);
  DDRB &= ~(1 << encoderPinB); //replaces pinMode(PB2, INPUT);
  DDRB &= ~(1 << encoderButton); //replaces pinMode(PB1, INPUT); 
  //DDRB &= ~(1 << LATCHSTATE); //replaces pinMode(PB4, INPUT);

PORTB |= (1 << neopixel); //replaces digitalWrite(PB0, HIGH);
  PORTB |= (1 << encoderPinA); //replaces digitalWrite(PB3, HIGH);
  PORTB |= (1 << encoderPinB); //replaces digitalWrite(PB2, HIGH);
  PORTB &= ~(1 << encoderButton); //replaces digitalWrite(PB1, LOW); // active low since it shares build in LED, acts as a pull-down resistor
  //PORTB &= ~(1 << LATCHSTATE); //replaces digitalWrite(PB4, LOW);

_oldState = 3; 
  TrinketHidCombo.begin();

}

PB3 and PB4 are used by the USB connection, so I don't see how you're going to have enough pins to do HID (2 USB pins), Neopixel (1 pin), and Encoder (3 pins) on the board with only 5 IOs total...