portable weather station

Hi
I am completely new to Arduino, but am hoping to make a portable weather station for my out door hobby.
I need to keep at track of the pressure (k Pa only not Altitude), temperature and humidity. There is a project to build using the BME280 sensor.

The code requires that you enter your altitude.
My question is : If I start the device at a different location will it read the wrong pressure?

Thanks any help much appreciated.

the BME208 is an absolute pressure sensor. with humidity and temperature.

That means that no matter where you are, it just reports that pressure it sees.

For that to have any meaning to you, you would need to correct for elevation.

Elevation should be available through some internet service. or even a GPS signal.

Every airport has a local barometric pressure for their area as well.

dave-in-nj:
Elevation should be available through some internet service. or even a GPS signal.

Or a good old-fashioned map with contour lines :slight_smile:

...R

In order to just read the bariometric airpreasure nothing needs to be done.
It is only when You want to know Your altitude, normaly above the average sea level, that You need to refer to base data.

The below replies is exactly what I wanted to hear as I need to know pressure not altitude.
This a green light for me I will go and buy whats needed. :slight_smile:

dave-in-nj
“the BME208 is an absolute pressure sensor. with humidity and temperature.
That means that no matter where you are, it just reports that pressure it sees.”

Railroader
“In order to just read the bariometric airpreasure nothing needs to be done.”

Thanks dave-in-nj and Railroader

Portable means that it will be moving if you increase your altitude such as driving up a hill and there is a high pressure front that's moving in your pressure may actually go up when it should be going down

The good news, is that no matter what, with the above parts, you will get the basic information you want.

Alas, if you are like the rest of us, a working unit just means we have not added enough feature yet.

Hi dave-in-nj
I understand what you are saying.
All I need to know is how thick the air is and nothing more.
I have ordered all that I need and installed the Arduino IDE software.
Better go and study up on how to use it.

Yes, rapid wheather changes will make trouble for every application.
As long as You make Your measurements standing still at a location You will have no trouble as long as You don't care about altitude calculations.

I think the question is portable versus traveling.
Move to a location and leave it there for some peroid.
Or traveling while you climb up and down the mountains and go skiing

Portable or mobile use?
Let's see what comes up.
Having a background as a pilot the use of airpreasure is familiar. You preferably start at one air preasure and land at another airpreasure....., or You might dig a tunnel or land in the tree tops....