Porting Arduino to nRF51 Series (nRF51822 and nRF51422)

Hello,

i'm working on get Arduino running with nRF51 microcontrollers (256k Flash up to 32k RAM, a nRF24 + BLE + ANT+ compatible Radio module on chip). My work is published on github https://github.com/d00616/nRF51duino

I have started with rfduino code and removed a lot of copyrighted and binary code. I have replaced startup code and linker code with code comming from offical Nordic SDK. At the moment the SDK is needed to compile a sketch because a non open source header file is needed.

At the moment the code is usable when no additional memory is needed. Serial interface code or print function are not working at the moment. Both are allocating memory for buffers. I think there is a problem with my startup code or in linker script.

When i compile a sketch following errors are printed. I have no idea how to resolve there errors.

/opt/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .heap by 4 bytes
/opt/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .stack_dummy by 4 bytes
/opt/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .heap by 4 bytes
/opt/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.3/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .stack_dummy by 4 bytes

How i can fix the memory problems?

Who is interested helping me to get Arduino running on these micro controllers?

My goal is to get Arduino runnung on nRF51 controllers with a nRF24 compatbile radio library without dependencies to Nordic SDK. To use BLE or ANT+ access to binary drivers and Nordic SDK are needed.

Regards,

Frank

Frank,

Just been reading into your work here - something I'm also interested in doing / working with - but I don't have the software knowledge to do this. Have you or anyone else made any progress on this since your post? If not is there an alternative method or route you have decided on that works?

Thanks!

I have been looking for a way to basically upload over ISP with the NRF radios. Would this core work for that? (I know it is still in development) Anyway, awesome project :)!

i cant see much activity on the OPs repo for quite a while.

However, i RedBearLab have an nrf51 based board, and source code on git hub so that it can be programmed via the Arduino IDE

Alhough their Core is designed for their boards, it can be modified to work with the generic modules which are available on eBay etc.