Porting the original text star trek game to Arduino?

Hah! Once you needed a mainframe to run this thing. Moore's law FTW. I am a little surprised that it survived the porting process so well. Nice work.

Yeah, when we were filming it, I was laughing that when I was a kid I played this on a HP mainframe. Now it runs on a processor the size of my thumb! You realize this code base goes back 49 years? Yikes!

I've begin paring down the screen drawing to match my little screen. During testing I started getting into playing it and it suddenly crashed! "Oh No! How can I ever debug this mess?" Then I realized, the screen code is really new and I never never actually dealt with what to do when the RAM ran low. Duh! This has forced me to go back and clean up my act on my code so I can play it.

I don't think this game is much of a RAM hog. When they wrote it, RAM was pretty expensive. But the code size is just massive! I'm wondering if I should pull the strings into my SD drive like a resource fork kinda' thing. I think that would deflate the code quite a bit.

-jim lee

Here I packaged it up with my breakout game and RPN calculator. With a new flashy splash screen! Stolen from a 1983 SEGA ad.

Had to go down a lot of rat holes last night to make this thing exit-able. Finally I can hit my close button on the screen and it'll quickly exit the program without a lot of fuss and texting.

-jim lee

If anyone's still following.. Got Freeze, thaw & emexit working. So, if you have a running SD drive with a /startrek/ folder setup, you can save your game (freeze) and open saved games (thaw). Emexit will automatically save its game under emexit. And finally, I added a file listing for when you want to open a saved game. Then you can at least see your saved game names.

There is a weird bug I'm hunting for where if a Kligon rams you, you get a list of (null) then numbers across the screen. I can't find it for the life of me.

-jim lee