Ports Not Active

Hello,

I believe this is a common issue. I only have access to bluetooth connection from the Port Menu. I tried several solutions online including installing FTDI Drivers. This website indicates that there could be conflict with my OS Sierra on Mac: How to Install FTDI Drivers - learn.sparkfun.com.

I previously uninstalled and reinstalled arduino two times. First I updated it from a version some years ago. I uninstalled the update for a reason I forgot and deleted all the appropriate files I could find with guidance from a post on this site.

The second reinstall works better but as I indicated I only have bluetooth available as a port option.

Could someone indicate a post or article appropriate to my OS? Any advice is appreciated.

port option?
Bluetooth?

for what?

What board are you working with? Most clones have a different serial adapter than the official boards use, so you may have to download and install drivers for them.

Apologies, I’m working with an Adafruit Pro Trinket board. I installed the drivers per Adafruit’s online documentation.

Here is a screen shot I hope clarifies my language.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 4.18.55 PM.png

You need a FTDI cable.

Do you have one?

I can order one if need be, but all the Adafruit documentation suggests that USB is supposed to work. I'd rather get up and running without much more wait for an order to come through.

yaguirre:
I can order one if need be, but all the Adafruit documentation suggests that USB is supposed to work. I'd rather get up and running without much more wait for an order to come through.

You don't appear to be reading the documentation.

You can use either the USB connector or an FTDI cable so that it acts just like an Arduino Uno for programming, for max flexibility.
The Pro Trinket is smart enough to auto-detect which bootloader you are trying to use. If you plug the USB port in, it will enumerate as a USBtinyISP for USB bootloader. If you plug in FTDI and use the Arduino Uno programming procedure it will use that technique

Please forgive me if I appear to be unwilling or unable to service myself. I am currently on disability with some cognitive issues that frustrate me at the moment. I'm an artist trying to make headway on a deadline despite my temporary handicap. I'd just like to distribute some miniature multiples that put out white noise through an earphone.

I have tried to respect the forum's request for self research on google and read all the relevant documentation I could find. I have marginal experience with programming but never this much trouble.

Further assistance would be appreciated, but if FTDI is really the only solution I will order a cable tomorrow.

If you can wait until Monday, the Adafruit people are good about providing support.

The USB cable you are using needs to be a data cable.
Some of the USB cables are charging only which means they do not connect up the 2 data pins.
A cable that is included with a USB SD card reader or with a camera will be useable.
Ohm out pins 2 and 3 if you have a multimeter to check the USB cable you are using.