Position sensor

Hi everyone, So i was wondering is there any sensor that can give me the X-Y mesurement ? The idea is that i want to command my robot to move form one position to another by giving him (X,Y). the surface is always the same. and Im sorry, my english is a little bit week :/

To my knowledge there isn't a sensor that provides this functionality directly. But you can create a system that is able to tell you the coordinates of your robot. Unfortunately you didn't provide enough information for us to make you a suggestion as we have no clue about how your robot interacts with it's environment, what kind of surface it's on and the like. In many situation you may install a camera above the robot and use a Raspberry Pi or the like to recognize the robot on the picture to get the coordinates.

okay, i will try to explain. My robot have two motors, the first is for horizontal mouvement and the second for vertical mouvement, the idea is that it should go to diffrent positions automatically. so i was thinking of a position sensor that can provide the x.y position of my robots so that it can go to some positions that their x.y are already known. the surface of mouvement is limited. its a very simple concept that i thought that there is already a sensor that can provide this kind of information. hope i was clear enough and thanks

Is that roboter comparable to a CNC carver or a 3-D printer? In that case you can use rotary encoders to get the exact position.

Otherwise you may have to make a drawing of the concept or post a picture of your robot to give us a visual impression of the target.

I'm not aware of sensors that can do this that don't cost a lot or have very poor resolution.

Sounds like a perfect job for steppers or encoders indeed, combined with one or two microswitches to home the device upon startup, so you know where you are (or you have to use absolute encoders).

Okay, so after some researches i found this : http://www.akiti.ca/Triangulate2D.html it says that I can get my X,Y coordinate but I need an angle sensors that can provide me with the angle between the object and the x axis ... would it possible to get that kind of information ??

Well, yes, that's basic triangulation, and indeed you have to find the angles. That's tough, very tough, because how are you going to identify the points between which you try to measure the angle?

Exactly what i was thinking !! so I guess inductive encoders are my only solution so far ..

Consider Pozyx.

jremington:
Consider Pozyx.

Yes but Im still looking for a simple, cheap, way that can provide me with the x,y coordinates :confused:

Im still looking for a simple, cheap, way that can provide me with the x,y coordinates

So are millions of other people. Good luck on your search!

Describe your hardware in more detail. In general you won't get a cheap solution but for some special cases (as I already wrote in answer #3) you might have rather cheap alternatives that give you very accurate results.

Chad21: Okay, so after some researches i found this : http://www.akiti.ca/Triangulate2D.html it says that I can get my X,Y coordinate but I need an angle sensors that can provide me with the angle between the object and the x axis ... would it possible to get that kind of information ??

Beware! You can get the X and Y coordinates this way, but it cannot tell you which side of the base-line they are on. For that you need to be able to identify the end markers.

Paul