Positioning using NRF24L01+ radios?

I just got an idea and am hoping someone could tell me if this is possible.

I work in a warehouse witch stores pallets in “racks” that are 3 stories high and have different length.
If where to place out alot of NRF24L01+ on the racks could I then use a noter NRF24L01+ and arduino on the forks of the forklift to determine on what locator the forks are depending on the streanghts of the sorrunding radios?

..having worked as warehouse manager and store man for some big places i understand your desire for such a system.

It can get quite hard the further the forks are from the driver to locate the pallet gap you have to get them into...

Trouble with all that steel racking is the reflection , interference and reflection would be insane.

Would A video camera mounted inline with the forks with a LCD in the cab suit your goals ?

If where to place out alot of NRF24L01+ on the racks could I then use a noter NRF24L01+ and arduino on the forks of the forklift to determine on what locator the forks are depending on the streanghts of the sorrunding radios?

Probably not. RF signal strength and distance measurement are really not reliable unless under very ideal conditions.

zoomkat:

Probably not. RF signal strength and distance measurement are really not reliable unless under very ideal conditions.

The advice you are getting is spot on, listen to it.

Maybe the way to do what you want is with RFID tags on the shelves. The Forklift would have an RFID reader interfaced to an Arduino and the Arduino would be radio linked back to the display you monitor. This would fail if the sizes of the shelves were too small so the RFID reader got signals from more than one shelf.

Hope this helps,
wade

Big warehouses with "pick and place" systems use infrared digitally coded place markers. I don't think any use RF ID since infrared is cheaper and in this case, simpler/better.