Possible faulty Nano board [SOLVED]

problem solved by going to boards manager>AVR boards and update to 1.6.21. Didn’t see this anywhere other than the replies here

Hey guys, first post here so please let me know if I format anything wrong or anything else.

Got my genuine Nano from Arduino recently and I immediately went to try to upload a simple sketch to it just for fun before my actual programs. I chose Blink because it’s simple and similar to what I will eventually load onto it. Downloaded the IDE, plugged in, opened Blink, compiled and uploaded it, and got errors (listed below).

The driver is correct, the com port pops up in device manager and tools>port and I have manually updated the drivers to the ones in the the arduino program files (drivers folder) along with auto update too.

I chose Nano for the board.

The processor chosen as ATmega328P as printed on the board itself (Yes 328P).

Verbose during upload is checked.

I have tried pressing reset before and after clicking upload.

I opened the IDE and then went file>open instead of opening the file from outside the IDE.

Nothing is connected to any pins on the board.

I tried two different computers, both windows 10 (IDE download & app), all their usb ports, and different usb cables too (both are known to work with other devices correctly), and uninstalled and redownloaded the driver and IDE.

Loop-Back test confirms the host computer, hardware driver, USB cable, and USB to serial converter are all working perfectly.

Blink runs on the board since it comes default like that, but I specifically changed the delays to be longer so I could notice a difference when it changed the sketch.

The red RX light flashes 3 times as it should (I think) when trying to upload a sketch, but runs the factory Blink program all other times.

I did notice though that it says the baud rate is 57600, and I saw somewhere that the newer boards use 115200, so that’s the only possible thing it could be maybe? No clue how to change that though.

finalplasmagun is just what I’m going to name my final sketch to but it shouldn’t affect anything.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 444 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM7 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_13274/finalplasmagun.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM7
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x70

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I’ve tried my own sketch, and a blank sketch too and same thing happens. Board itself looks in perfect condition, no physical sign of defects, can confirm it supplies 5V correctly. I bought genuine to avoid this sort of thing so pretty disappointed unless I’m wrong about it being a faulty board. I swear I’ve tried everything out there, anything you think I’ve forgotten? Do you think it’s faulty? Thank you!{SOLVED

Try setting the "Processor" in the tools manual (AFTER you set Board to Nano) to "ATmega328p (Old Bootloader)"

If it's a genuine Arduino, you might have to update the board manager to version 1.6.21. Newer genuine Arduinos come with a different bootloader; after that you can select the usual 328P processor.

westfw:
Try setting the "Processor" in the tools manual (AFTER you set Board to Nano) to "ATmega328p (Old Bootloader)"

They don't have that option anymore in the IDE

(deleted)

KCWCK55:
They don't have that option anymore in the IDE

See reply #2.

sterretje:
If it's a genuine Arduino, you might have to update the board manager to version 1.6.21. Newer genuine Arduinos come with a different bootloader; after that you can select the usual 328P processor.

Ah I get what you mean now. Arduino calls it updating the cores