Possible Project - DSLR Film Negative Scanner

I would like a bit of instruction here. The scope of my project is this:

Scan negative film using a DSLR with a light table attached to an XY table. If possible, auto import files into photoshop.

Film negative sizes, 35mm x 24mm, Medium Format: 6cm x 4.5cm, 6cm, 7cm, 9cm, and large Format: 4" x 5"

My current camera is a Canon 70D, crop sensor. Using a 1: 1 macro lens, at full magnification, I will need to capture multiple images of the film (12 images of a 6cm x 6cm negative), import into photoshop, stitch the photos together. The resulting finished image will be higher resolution than just capturing i mage. I have a setup with my camera mounted over an xy table. I have done this manually, I would like to automate the process, as I see myself shooting more and more film.

I want to control the table with nema17 stepper motors and trigger the camera a specified interval (distances) across the frame in both x & y directions.

Question, where to go to find the info needed for this? Has anyone done something similar?

Have a look at stepper motors and the libraries that are available. I guess it’s then just so many steps X , so many Y then a digital output to fire the shutter.

Thanks, I guess I did not pose my question properly. I may need. My background is a machinist / application engineer. I will have no issues with the mechanical aspect. I need direction as to what components I may need, reference schematics. No electrician here, but willing to learn, a noob to arduino. I have built computers in the past as well as assisted wiring up a CNC router. I have some basic understanding.

memphismachinist: My background is a machinist / application engineer. I will have no issues with the mechanical aspect. ...... I have some basic understanding.

In that case, read reply #1 again.