Possible to make Arduino into an RFID/NFC tag?

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on whether something like this would be possible. Any advice is welcomed, thanks!

I'm wanting to emulate a MiFare Classic 1k card on an Arduino so I can change the UID it is sending out and the data on the card without having to flash or clone a card.

So basically, can I make a circuit similar to one in a smart card that would allow Arduino to broadcast an 13.56Mhz RFID or NFC signal through an antenna? And with my choice of data on that signal?

Thanks Alistair

'm looking for some advice on whether something like this would be possible.

Basically no.

Not without adding a Transmitter and receiver to the Arduino. The receiver must receive at the 13.56MHz frequency and the transmitter must transmit at one quarter of this frequency. After that there is only the protocol to worry about. :smiling_imp:

Basically no.

No without buying additional hardware, or no full stop?

alibabzo: No without buying additional hardware, or no full stop?

If you buy ( but probably build ) additional hardware then it can be done if you can sort out the protocol of the data exchange between the two. This is a big IF but in theory it can be done.

Okay, thanks

To anyone else lurking the thread, just found this Google Code link which has interesting stuff on it

https://code.google.com/p/simple-nfc/

Yes but they are not anything like the MiFare Classic 1k card you are asking about.

alibabzo: To anyone else lurking the thread, just found this Google Code link which has interesting stuff on it

https://code.google.com/p/simple-nfc/

It is for for type 2 tags only, just like Mike told no support for MiFare Classic.

Arduino Yun and NFC:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=296382.0

alibabzo: ... I'm wanting to emulate a MiFare Classic 1k card on an Arduino so I can change the UID it is sending out and the data on the card without having to flash or clone a card. ...

sonnyyu: /usr/bin/nfc-emulate-uid /usr/bin/nfc-emulate-tag /usr/bin/nfc-emulate-forum-tag4

emulate-tag by Yun and reader

nfc-emulate-uid is a tag emulation tool that allows one to choose any tag UID. Tag emulation is one of the main added features in NFC. But to avoid abuse of existing systems, manufacturers of the NFC controller intentionally did not support emulation of fully customized UID but only of "random" UIDs, which always start with 0x08.

However someone could use Arduino Yun program Chinese Magic Card to overcome/abuse this problem.

...The emulate tool demonstrates that this can still be done using transmission of raw-frames, and the desired UID can be optionally specified.

The man page makes it seem like it is possible with a card reader device. Are we saying that this is not easily possible with Arduino but could be done by Linux means ie something like a Raspberry Pi with a USB peripheral?

alibabzo: The man page makes it seem like it is possible with a card reader device. Are we saying that this is not easily possible with Arduino but could be done by Linux means ie something like a Raspberry Pi with a USB peripheral?

Arduino Yun has Linux and USB host port, plus this is Arduino forum. 8)

Heh I know man, bit of a forbidden word around here sorry :confused:

alibabzo: The man page makes it seem like it is possible with a card reader device. Are we saying that this is not easily possible with Arduino but could be done by Linux means ie something like a Raspberry Pi with a USB peripheral?

you can emulate ISO14443-4 cards with some readers (with e.g. PN532) but no Mifare Classic tags