Possible to send pic in email w/ arduino + ethernet shield?

title pretty much says it all - can i send a pic from the sd card on ethernet shield in an email from the arduino/ethernet shield combo?

thanks in advance,
bob

Here's part of what you are looking for:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1235534880/3

The MIME markup and Base64 encoding for an attachment is not too much trouble. You will find simple C code examples if you ask Google.

thanks, will look around :). have the emailing part working, just need the attachment part. any chance you know of a size limitation of the attachment? not thinking 1 or 2MB, just <100KB at the extreme. also, any idea how long the encoding process would take? i understand that would depend on the code, but w/ efficient code, are we talking mins or seconds?

thanks in advance,
bob

Well, since the Arduino has so little memory, you are going to have to read the file a few bytes at a time, generate the encoded data and write it out to the TCP stream, then go back and read some more attachment data. Base64 and MIME is pretty simple and takes no discernible time, even on an Arduino. The speed limitations would be in the TCP implementation on the ethernet shield, which is unlikely to be a problem and the time it takes to fetch stuff from the SD card.

From trying to work with raster fonts and serial printing on an arduino I can tell you this is going to be really tricky. You've only got 8k (best case, mega) or sram to play with and possible another 4k of eprom... Your code is going to take up some space, as well as hton'ed data. Frankly there are much better devices than arduino for such a task. mbed comes to mind, as does beagleboard if you're looking for some serious image capabilities.

thanks for the info, i think i will drop it for the time being as it was more for convenience at this point in time. straight text it will be. thanks for saving me the time for this particular application, in the future i may look back at it, but for now there are enough other things to get working before i mess w/ the niceties :slight_smile:

thanks again,
bob