Possible to shorten Resistors?

Hey - I’m new here so sorry if this a stupid question!

Im just playing around with my new Arduino Uno and the resistors are so long that they quickly cramp up the breadboard and make the circuits quite difficult to form neatly.

Is it possible to cut down the wiring of the resistors so that they are not so long or is this a stupid idea?

Thanks

s it possible to cut down the wiring of the resistors so that they are not so long

If you mean the wire ends of the component then yes everybody cuts them to length.

You may trim the wires on resistors - you would in fact do so if you were assembling and soldering them to a PCB.

The risk is that if you are only building something for an exercise, then if you trim the wires they will surely be too short later for another different exercise! :grinning:

I didn't realize you were asking about cutting the leads (wires)...

I'd say the most commonly used tool in my electronics toolbox is a pair of small [u]diagonal cutters[/u]. (AKA a "pair of dikes".)

thanks guys - guess it was a stupid question!

bob21: guess it was a stupid question!

No, you didn't know so you asked, that is not stupid, that is clever.

You can also stand the resistors on end (vertically).

DVDdoug: I'd say the most commonly used tool in my electronics toolbox is a pair of small [u]diagonal cutters[/u]. (AKA a "pair of dikes".)

Usually called side cutters in UK.

I do a lot of projects with a 5V tolerant 3.3V microcontroller. It just needs a series resistors to limit the current through the clamping diodes. This means I end up with a lot of resistors right next to each other sometimes. These resistor kept shorting against themselves so I finally had the brilliant idea to add heat shrink tubing to the leads. This has been a huge help.

|500x375

BTW, in case any of you aren't aware of it, NASA requires transparent or translucent heat shrink tubing. I've been amazed how much I like transparent heat shrink tubing since I started using it. It's really nice to be able to see connections with the heat shrink in place. Just one of the many things I learned from NASA's Workmanship Standards.

Micro-shears. The better choice for trimming leads... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBQEB0

@DuaneDegn I hope you have several proto shields so you don't have to rebuild a cct. ;)

it doesn't make sence when cutting it down to a shorter lenght But cut it too short so you van not solder it!

:)

With resistors at less than $0.01 a piece it is hardly worth bothering about reuse.

Grumpy_Mike: With resistors at less than $0.01 a piece it is hardly worth bothering about reuse.

. . . unless it's the last one in the pack :(

Russell.

unless it's the last one in the pack

Then that is very poor stock control. :)