Postion measurement

I want to create a Security Motoring System that would allow me to set the "plane location xyz" of a object using a accelerometer with a remote control that would probably communicate between wifi protocols to send and retrieve information. The device would have to include wifi capabilities and a onboard accelerometer if possible.

The device would also have to communicate to cameras that will be installed outside and inside the object and display environment to user through remote.

Interfacing through a IR receiver to device but I feel that this may limit the range of the device overall. The ideal distance for this device should be about 100 yards if possible.

The accelerometer is to record the orientation of the object. So measurements can then be made to determine if that object has moved or is moving.

The remote functionality is to set the accelerometer an alarm and other devices can be added later to alert user of change is coordinates.

The distance is kinda ambiguous I want the range of communication between device and remote to be "lengthy" . A better question would be 'What form of communication or device would allow me the greatest distance from object to remote vice versa".

The object does not fly it is land based.....

Your description leaves a lot to be desired. Just tell us what you want to build and someone may have good ideas.

An accelerometer cannot determine position.

Edit to add ... It seems the OP changed his Original Post since I wrote this Reply

...R

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Your project involves an accelerometer, yet you do not say why you need it.

What is the application?
Does it fly, float, drive over a surface?
What distance range does it need to work?
What data do you want to send from the remote "vehicle"?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Okay I was being a little vague to keep project functionality hidden. :sunglasses:

The accelerometer is to record the orientation of the object. So measurements can then be made to determine if that object has moved or is moving.

The remote functionality is to set the accelerometer a alarm and other devices can be added later to alert user of change is coordinates.

The distance is kinda ambiguous I want the range of communication between device and remote to be "lengthy" . A better answer to the question would be what form of communication or device would allow me the greatest distance from object and remote.

The object does not fly it is land based.....

"Okay I was being a little vague to keep project functionality hidden. :sunglasses:". Then I don't want to waste my time thinking about vague projects. Good by.

Paul

Hi,

elicomp17:

The remote functionality is to set the accelerometer a alarm and other devices can be added later to alert user of change is coordinates.

The distance is kinda ambiguous I want the range of communication between device and remote to be “lengthy” . A better answer to the question would be what form of communication or device would allow me the greatest distance from object and remote.

The object does not fly it is land based…

Okay, sounds like a security equipment monitoring system.
Yes, an accelerometer will tell you if it orientation has changed or movement has occurred, but not location.
Tom… :slight_smile:

elicomp17:
Okay I was being a little vague to keep project functionality hidden. :sunglasses:

I don't think you can measure or estimate distance reliably with just accelerometers.

You would probably need to go for those object tracking techniques that sends out a timing signal that gets received at various locations, so that some processing can be done to get some kind of estimated location.

Otherwise, if outdoors..... GPS.

But, if you're only interested in information about the angle of the accelerometer..... then yep... a MPU-6050 based module should do the trick. Plus arduino, plus maybe NRF24L01 transceiver modules.

TomGeorge:
Hi,Okay, sounds like a security equipment monitoring system.
Yes, an accelerometer will tell you if it orientation has changed or movement has occurred, but not location.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Yes I know I'm not referring to the geographical location but it location on a plane x y z coordinates.

Paul_KD7HB:
"Okay I was being a little vague to keep project functionality hidden. :sunglasses:". Then I don't want to waste my time thinking about vague projects. Good by.

Paul

Ayee don't be like that

Southpark:
I don't think you can measure or estimate distance reliably with just accelerometers.

You would probably need to go for those object tracking techniques that sends out a timing signal that gets received at various locations, so that some processing can be done to get some kind of estimated location.

Otherwise, if outdoors..... GPS.

But, if you're only interested in information about the angle of the accelerometer..... then yep... a MPU-6050 based module should do the trick. Plus arduino, plus maybe NRF24L01 transceiver modules.

Good stuff I'm looking at the specs for the accelerometer now, as for the transceiver is it programmable in which I can write code to what gets sent and received.

What experience with coding do you have so far? Can you blink an LED? Can you code a button? Do you know how to wire up a motor?
You can rest assured that no one is going to steal your ingenious idea and become a millionaire without you. So explain your project in detail if you want help. You are not the first nor will you be the last newbie with an elementary idea thinking it's top secret. I guarantee that what you want to do has already been done in some shape or form. That's good for you, you don't have to actually invent anything, just put things together.
But you've already prevented good advice to be given on what things you should put together because you are unwilling to be forthcoming with your goal.

Thinking about using IR at 100yds says enough about your experience level. Folks here are helpful, but don't have the patience to drag information out of you. Explain what you want, in detail, or else go talk to a patent lawyer if you really believe you have some revolutionary idea.