Pot swap on fan speed controller?

I have an ActiveAir fan speed controller that is controlled with an analog pot that is used to limit my inline duct fan. The fan I use has a CBB60 (split?) capacitor wired in it's junction box. The speed controller has a few parts I am yet to identify, but primarily I was able to identify the BTA24 Triac.

Being still too new, I am hoping it can be done, and if yes, what would be a good digital pot to use in place of the analog pot, but is it possible to desolder an analog pot from the circuit board, and wire in a digital pot that can use PWM from an Arduino (or other method of control) so that the Arduino controls the output of the speed controller?

If yes, can you suggest one or a few possible digital pots that might work for this application?

Ultimately, I am wanting my project to be controlled over the internet via my Ethernet Shield, and to have the ability to change fan speeds from another location via my web connected smartphone and the Arduino Commander app. However, prior to this, I will be using temp sensors to primarily control the fan speed in the sketch.

Just keeping things simple, I'd consider using a servo to rotate the controller knob.

I did consider that, but figured I'd catch hell similar to when I asked about using a servo the flip a light switch rather than using an optocoupler. But for this application, I am wanting to learn to hack this device so I can apply what I learned to other devices, or even to recreate this device to be Arduino friendly and share the prototype if it is functional enough.

Hi, don’t forget the dimmer circuit is at mains voltage.
Any use of arduino or other diy system will require isolation.

Tom… :slight_smile:

My research suggests using dimmers with PSC motors turn out badly. Is there another means of isolation, or is the dimmer used to control the digital pot? I was thinking the board itself had some form of iso involved, but then again, the human needed to turn the pot is not susceptible to EMI the way the Arduino is.

Would you then suggest I steal the triac off this board and build a project more arduino friendly?