Potentiometer away from arduino

Hi,

I have to read from a pot that must be placed 6 or 7 meters away from arduino. Is there a way to get fine readings from the pot? Or is there a way to convert to and use RS232 as "transport"?

Thanks a lot.

25 ft. isn't all that far. Use a good quality shielded cable such as Belden 8723 or similar. Make certain the wiper of the pot is the conductor twisted with the GND or low end of the pot. Connect your shield to chassis ground.

txalamar:
Hi,

I have to read from a pot that must be placed 6 or 7 meters away from arduino. Is there a way to get fine readings from the pot? Or is there a way to convert to and use RS232 as "transport"?

Yes, but you'll need two Arduinos...

OTOH I don't think 6 meters will have much impact on the "fineness" of the reading. Use shielded wire, put a .1uF ceramic capacitor from the Arduino analog input to GND.

Ho well thank you. I'ts a good new. I used a CAT5 ethernet cable but more than 50 cm readings started hopping (not fluctuating 2 or 3 points that is normal). I will try out with your indications.

Ty again.

txalamar:
Ho well thank you. I'ts a good new. I used a CAT5 ethernet cable but more than 50 cm readings started hopping (not fluctuating 2 or 3 points that is normal). I will try out with your indications.

50 cm is nothing at all. Something is very wrong if you're seeing unstable readings with 50 cm of wire.

It sounds like you are using a pot with too high of a resistance.

With a 1K pot, 50 meters of shielded wire won't be a problem.

If your pot is more than 47K, you could run into problems.

// Per.

Thank you all again for all that tips!

Need to get some stuff to try all this out... that pot problem is being a stopper to finish out my project. I'm buliding an auto pilot for a motor boat and the pot is to be used as the positioning sensor of helm.