Potentiometers and ADXL335 Accelerometer: Newbie Circuit Question

I'm trying to set up a circuit with an Arduino Uno, 2 potentiometers and an ADXL335 accelerometer. All are separate analog inputs that are completely unrelated to one another, but my question regards the voltage. With the ADXL335, I can only use the 3.3V slot on the Arduino.

Right now, I have the two potentiometers hooked up in a circuit that is connected to the 5V slot. I have this part of my project tested and working correctly.

Could I just connect the positive wire from this circuit to the positive of the ADXL335 and then run a wire to the 3.3V slot? Or, does the ADXL335 need to be on its own connected to the 3.3V and just have its GND wire connected to the potentiometer circuit?

Hopefully that made sense to someone out there. I can try and take some photos to better describe what I'm talking about if clarification is necessary.

Thanks!

Could I just connect the positive wire from this circuit to the positive of the ADXL335 and then run a wire to the 3.3V slot?

No.

Or, does the ADXL335 need to be on its own connected to the 3.3V and just have its GND wire connected to the potentiometer circuit?

Yes.

I can try and take some photos to better describe what I'm talking about if clarification is necessary.

Drawing a schematic would be even better. Even a Fritzing diagram would be useful.

Thanks for the comments. I was unaware of Fritzing, but it’s a very helpful tool. I’ve exported a .fzz file and a png. Thanks for taking a look at this!

PotsAndAccelerometer.fzz (3.91 KB)

The diagram looks good. The only thing that you'll need to be concerned about is that the analog reference voltage is 5.0, by default. So, the 3.3V will result in values from the accelerometer in the range of 0 to about 675, rather than 0 to 1023. If that reduced range is OK, no changes are required.

If not, you could connect the pots to the 3.3V pin, and jumper than pin to AREF, and use analogReference(EXTERNAL); to make the 3.3V values read full scale, for the pots and the accelerometer.

The reduced range should be fine. I'm using the accelerometer purely to understand how it works a bit better. So this particular application of it will trigger some Processing visuals with excessive shake. I'll probably end up soldering some jumper wires to the accelerometer and hooking it up directly the way I've diagramed it out. I plan to house this in a small soap box, so I won't be using a breadboard since everything can be hooked up relatively easily.

The hardest part now will be making sure nothing falls out of place when users shake the project—do you happen to have any suggestions outside of electrical tape?

Thanks again for the helpful input.

The hardest part now will be making sure nothing falls out of place when users shake the project—do you happen to have any suggestions

Fill the enclosure with foam rubber, so nothing actually moves.