Power 10 stepper drivers using single power supply

May I ask is it possible to power 10 stepper drivers such as TB6600 or DM542 for NEMA23 with single power supply? Only one NEMA23 stepper motor operates at each time. Does the stepper driver still draws currents from the power supply if I disabled the enable pin of the stepper driver? I wish to minimize the number of power supply and also the heat released from the electronics.

Still better to account for the current required by ALL the motors.
That would be just in case you accidentally trigger one of the others or that you need to HOLD a motor in position.

Other wise they would be in a freewheel state and subject to whatever load is already present in terms or torsional load / weight.

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you mean I should get a power supply which provide the current of total 10 stepper motors? What I worried is large current from power supply may produce heat and damage the stepper driver or motor.

Devices and motors draw current.

For safety and reliability reasons, you should buy a power supply that can provide at least twice the current that you anticipate that the project will ever draw.

It is never a good idea to overload a power supply, OR to run it at its maximum current capability.

Each motor will only consume the current it needs to operate (subject to drivers being correctly matched).

Better to have spare current available for transient loads than not enough.

The power supply will certainly get warm if your project is left running for a while. Same for the stepper motors. They will likely get hot, if rotated or held in position. Similarly, the controlling chip on the stepper controller board will get hot. If you do not overload those devices, getting hot is within their design specification. Be sure to allow for air circulation to avoid TOO hot.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
The power supply will certainly get warm if your project is left running for a while. Same for the stepper motors. They will likely get hot, if rotated or held in position. Similarly, the controlling chip on the stepper controller board will get hot. If you do not overload those devices, getting hot is within their design specification. Be sure to allow for air circulation to avoid TOO hot.

Paul

What if I disable the enable pin in the stepper driver? Does it stop the stepper driver from taking the current from the power supply and produce less heat?

sylvesteryap:
What if I disable the enable pin in the stepper driver? Does it stop the stepper driver from taking the current from the power supply and produce less heat?

Basically, yes! Your controller will HOLD the motor in position if not moving to a new position. The only way to NOT draw current is to disable the driver.
However, the stepper has now lost all position control and if you start it back up, you have no sure way to know at what position it begins with.
Paul

sylvesteryap:
May I ask is it possible to power 10 stepper drivers such as TB6600 or DM542 for NEMA23 with single power supply? Only one NEMA23 stepper motor operates at each time. Does the stepper driver still draws currents from the power supply if I disabled the enable pin of the stepper driver? I wish to minimize the number of power supply and also the heat released from the electronics.

Steppers are not the solution if you want to minimize power draw as they are the least efficient motors
available.

You would need servomotors if power draw has to be minimized as they only draw power proportional
to the work being done (roughly speaking). Steppers draw full power constantly.

Hi,
Check your driver data, usually when you disable the driver the motor is allowed to freewheel.
So if it is holding a position against a turning torque, when disabled the motor will turn due to the torque load.
This is also reason for the need for the power supply to be able to power ALL steppers, even if stationary, there is current still some current flowing through the stepper windings.

What is the application?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile: