power arduino with fuse

hello everyone, am doing a project to monitor a car with various sensor. my setup is as follows;
A voltage regulator which has 12 volt input from the car battery. The voltage regulator outputs 5v 10amps.

my problem is if the power regulator fails and supply more than 5v then all my sensor will fry with the high voltage. :frowning: . i want to know if there is any fuse i can use at the output end of the power regulator. the fuse will be blown if the voltage is >5v.

here is my power regulator am using:
DC-DC Converter Step-Down Buck Waterproof 12V/24V to 5V 10A 50W Car LED Power Supply Buck Module
http://s.aliexpress.com/uERNvEra

Fuses are blown by current rather than voltage.

If a regulator failed and allowed 12v to reach a 5v device I doubt if any fuse would react fast enough to protect it. I suspect it would be the fact of the device failing that draws the current needed to blow the fuse.

I think the answer is to use a good quality voltage regulator.

Just maybe you could power the Arduino through a separate voltage regulator (which you have faith in) and use it to monitor the voltage from the main regulator and open a relay if the voltage is too high.

Frankly I think that would just introduce additional failure nodes so that the overall situation would not be improved.

...R

thanks for the reply dude. do you the voltage regulator am using is trustworthy? what fuse type i should use between the battery and the power regulator. am thinking of a 10 amp fuse. you guys think its good?

The purpose of a fuse between a battery and something is to protect the wire from getting hot enough to start a fire if there is a short circuit - batteries can provide huge currents. As I have no idea what wire you are using ...

...R

Use a zener diode (it should be capable of 20 Amps.
if voltage above the zener will go in conduction. so the fuse will blow.