Power DC motors of an RC car using Arduino and RC controller 2.4 Ghz controller

Good evening everyone,

I'm working on a project that will make a basic RC car autonomous. The idea behind it is that the camera that I'm using will stream data to the computer, the computer will do some stuff (just to keep it simple) and then, the RC controller which is controlled with the Arduino will tell the car to steer left or right, or drive forward or backward.

Hopefully that makes sense but to further clarify, the PCB of the RC controller has been taken out of the controller casing such that I can now find exactly how the controller works. There were 4 push-buttons (one for each user input to control the car) and I soldered some wires from the push button terminals to a circuit that was designed to regulate the voltage (RC controller car outputs 3V (2x AA batteries) but the Arduino outputs 5V. Within that circuit, I have 4 wires (6 if you include ground and power pins) that are put into the PWM ports of the Arduino.

From there, I can use the Arduino IDE to control said ports (either HIGH or LOW) which will finally control the RC car how I want it.

Now my biggest problem at the moment is that, the car is way too fast and for proper data collecting, I need to slow down the vehicle to a reasonable speed. Obviously, I would steer towards (haha) using PWM to control the speed however, I'm not sure what to do as I'm not using an H-Bridge/motor controller.

Now, there is a similar project on the internet (link below) however, he never explained how he got the RC car to drive at low speeds.

I have control of the RC car using the Arduino (I can turn the motors on and off for how ever long I desire) except the motor speed part. If someone know how I should approach this, please let me know at your earliest convenience -- thank you!

Video 1: https://vimeo.com/46432806 (watch from 4:15 - 12: 15)
Video 2: OpenCV Python Neural Network Autonomous RC Car - YouTube (Also a similar project; 3 minutes long)

Obviously, I would steer towards (haha) using PWM to control the speed however, I'm not sure what to do as I'm not using an H-Bridge/motor controller.

A H-bridge only controls the direction not the speed, so just use the PWM to rapidly turn in and offf the motor. As you can’t drive a motor from an Arduino pin anyway you will need a transistor to drive the motor, so just connect that to a PWM enabled pin.

As to the video, just forget trying to ge an Arduino involved it that part of the project.