Power Management System Controller

Hello Community, This is my first time understanding Ardunio, and its potential applications. For my application, i want to have a circuit that powers a very small motor (winch) to lift an object via pulley and cable. This circuit must then be shut off when i want to lower this object. When i lower this object, my motor spins backwards and acts like a generator, and i want to store this energy on ultracapacitors. From there, once i have enough energy on my ultracapacitors, i want to run my motor with that energy.

Is Arduino capable of running this system, with 3 main operations being lifting, lowering, and running on ultracapacitor?

Is it capable of shutting off incoming power, what kind of senors should i use?

Note the Ardunio will have its own power supply, and not be connected to this circuit, only for data inputs.

Thanks I am going to do a lot more research on this forum and others for similar applications and answers.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

What is powering the small winch motor at the start to lift the object?

Tom.... :o

Hi Tom,
I am in a preliminary stage for this idea and am not fully aware for electric circuits, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
To answer your question perhaps some AC to DC power adapter, similar to a laptop charger, for a 6V or 12V DC motor. I uploaded a sample circuit below.

Hi, Unless this is just an exercise, why do you want to charge your supercaps this way? Why use a supercap to power a motor when you have what looks like mains power available? Just a suitable supply for the last motor from the mains would be enough, and more efficient.

Your diagram shows some weird switching, can you explain it please?

Thanks... Tom... :)

Hey Tom, this is for a little project at work i'm tinkering on. These ultracapacitors are my energy storage system, perhaps a battery would work. However, i want my system to work (if possible) to run on the energy stored, if the main is interrupted. I figure my circuit is wrong and i am honestly to uneducated in circuits to explain it fully, but besides that, is the Arduino capable of 'managing' this energy storage system? Such as switching between my 3 operations. Perhaps you still need more information to make that decision. Thanks for the reply!

When a capacitor is connected to a voltage source it acts like a short. The current flow will be limited by something, but if that something is not able to handle the current then smoke will happen. In general, don't connect a capacitor to the mains (rectified or not) until understanding how to safely limit the inrush current. The motor will also have a starting current. Once at speed, it will draw current more or less as a function of mechanical loading. Large motors have name plates that list such things, fortunately, I've started to forget what they are.

Perhaps a battery charger could charge the capacitor since it is designed to operate in a current limited mode during the charging cycle.

If you do use a battery charger on a bank of super capacitors make sure the Motor does not have a starting current that is higher than the capacitors are rated for.

You should check your assumptions before proceeding.

First of all, when you connect the fully loaded super caps to the motor, will it lift the object as intended?

When your motor acts as a generator in free run, how want you make it brake?

Do you want to construct a perpetuum mobile?