Power motors, arduino, and shield of 1 power supply

Hi,

I am doing a project with 1 arduino mkr wifi 1010, 1 dynamixel mkr sheild (DYNAMIXEL Shield MKR), and 6 dynamixel ax-12a servo motors (AX-12A). Is it possible to power all of this using 1 Li-po battery?

The servo motors opperate at 12V, is it possible to connect the power supply to the VIN input on the shield and from the shield provide the required 5V to the arduino mkr?

If you have any recomendations for the power supply or voltage regulators (if needed), please let me know.

BR,
Max

Yes, if you take special care with "power supply decoupling". This is not a beginner topic.

is it possible to connect the power supply to the VIN input on the shield and from the shield provide the required 5V to the arduino mkr?

That depends on the characteristics of the voltage regulator used in the shield, the battery voltage and the current draw of the load on the shield. Without having the required details, my guess is "unlikely".

1 Like

U would use a 12V to 5V DC-DC converter (switch mode power supply) to supply 5V to the Arduino. The converter will filter out much of the motor noise and bypass the (perhaps weak*) onboard regulator.

*I admittedly know little of the mkr wifi 1010 regulator, but on other Arduino boards the onboard regulator is not very well heat sinked and is prone to overheating when powered by 12V.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply, I will research "power supply decoupling".

Start by determining the total power requirements of the project.

You will need to make sure that the battery (3S for those servos) is capable of providing the required current. Servos draw the stall current, 1.5 Amperes in this case, every time they start up.

So, the battery must be able to easily supply at least 10 Amperes.

1 Like